Who's going?

Moderators: sgrant, jonclancy

jonclancy

Who's going?

Post by jonclancy »

First, many thanks to Techbod for seting up this section.

It seems like there will be a few of us going to the Classic next year. Who's intending to come, and in what?

If there is a group of us, then perhaps a team push could be fun?

I'll be there in No 42. Routing TBN, but if there is a standard run that the classics take, then this would be it! 8-)

sgrant

Re: Who's going?

Post by sgrant »

I'd like to go again. I'll bring the XI, but remind myself to do the radiator modifications first.

I've always done the obvious Calais -> Rouen -> Alencon -> Le Mans route in the past, both for LM and LMC, but to be honest, although it's quick and direct, it's not exactly the classic-friendly scenic route and there's always a good chance of an hour's gridlock around Rouen.

Might be nice to take a gentler route next time, providing someone has a full emergency petrol can stashed somewhere.....

stephen

techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

"Might be nice to take a gentler route next time, providing someone has a full emergency petrol can stashed somewhere....."

Not just a theoretical possibilty - IIRC ran out of petrol on the autoroute and had to be rescued by the fake snake, though it has to be said that was with your weber running very very rich at the time...

EricT took us on a scenic route one year that involved a cafe and lots of countryside...

sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Indeed. It's been tuned since then, and the range is much better, but even so, I doubt anyone here gets much more than 120-140 miles out of a tank, even without lugging camping paraphanalia, and there can be fairly chunky gaps between filling stations in the countryside...Nothing that a bit of advanced planning can't sort, but might be worth considering where the fuel stops are when planning a non-motorway route.

stephen

Splat

Post by Splat »

I'm in, with the Eleven. Off there next Thursday with the new toy. It would have been with the Eleven, but I suffered a little bit of a setback with the protracted restoration. Nothing major, but I'm waiting for Peter May to machine some bits for me......

Personally Portsmouth/Cherbourg is better for me and it avoids the autoroutes.

jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I'd prefer the scenic route, too.

Shouldn't be too hard to work out where the fuel stops are and plan accordingly (75% of worse range car in pack). Westfield bladder is probably more limiting!

biggles

Post by biggles »

Westfield bladder - is this a condition I should know about in advance of sorting out my cockpit and seating!? :D

jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Yep - combination of cold and vibration. Medical type explained it to me recently - get cold, blood moves to core, blood pressure rises and therefore body dumps some water into bladder. Or something like that.

Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Would love to go, only thing is it is the first week of year end, so chances of work agreeing are somewhat slim.

Markwoodbridge

Post by Markwoodbridge »

I'm going with a bunch of mates with the TSSC club, they have Heralds of one sort or another..
Went in 2012 with the TSSC and the campsite & facilities were excellent.