Classic Le Mans 2016

Moderators: sgrant, jonclancy

M400too

Re: Classic Le Mans 2016

Post by M400too »

Well need to start organising this i will start with seeing what lotus clubs may be going to see if we can join in but from previous experience some marque clubs are a tad off about kits tagging on but we will see

M400too

Post by M400too »

I have contacted legs as they are looking at going across are we camping or mixed biggest thing is numbers and then getting bookings done so need some feedback
1 how long do we to go for- Thursday - Tuesday or shorter
2. Camping or hotels
3. Parade laps how will we get on this
I have a ford ranger with towbar and looking to get trailer so could take this as support vehicle need to look at insurance with sharing driving of my 11 if someone needs trailer

If we are serious need to look at this now I am happy to be emailed at ellanvannin46@gmail.com with suggestions

Splat

Post by Splat »

Well, being a keen (ex?) biker, I know what your email address means. Looking forward to the story of "why?" though!

Count me in. I'll be driving my XI. My uncle, a Le Mans vet, will almost certainly be interested (he actually appears in the opening credits of McQueen's film!) but as he approaches 70 (he'll murder me as he's "only" mid-sixties!), he's starting to make noises about no longer wishing to camp. We'll see! If he comes, he'll probably be my luggage porter, otherwise I'd be delighted to avail myself of a bit of your space if you decide to bring the Ranger ;-) I'm about 45 mins North of Portsmouth if we decide to go via Caen, and will happily provide hospitality if needed.

I haven't done the classic before, but I would assume that, like the regular race, we'd want to be there for Friday. May I suggest the overnight sailing from Caen on Sunday night. It's a quick dash to the coast in the late afternoon and a comfortable berth for the night, landing you in the UK at breakfast time.

So, out on Thursday morning, arriving in time to pitch camp and visit the nearest licenced establishment. Leave Sunday afternoon for the overnight sailing. Trust me, the £70-80 that the berth costs is the best spent you could imagine after three nights camping at the circuit!!

M400too

Post by M400too »

Thanks the email is because we have a lot of family who are manx

The camping seems best for making the most of weekend, not sure how I would work ranger/ trailer as will want to drive eleven but need to be realistic on how to get South. I will see what returns if any from legs and try some other clubs

Markwoodbridge

Post by Markwoodbridge »

I did CLM 2014, the best 'le mans' modification you can do is to drill some holes in the drivers footwell, the water then get from the sky to the road with minimal interference from your car/face/lap/legs/shoes/socks/pants...

attachment=0]photo.JPG[/attachment]

Considering Spa Classic this year
Attachments
Drying out en-route Le Mans 2014
Drying out en-route Le Mans 2014

M400too

Post by M400too »

Well nothing has really moved so need to look at this and see what need to do to get to this was at silverstone last week and hoped to see a westie or two but did not see anything cater hams well represented and some other kits

Splat

Post by Splat »

I'm still definitely up for it! I finally feel that my car is reliable and performing well, though it'll never be finished. In the past couple of weeks it's done a track day at Thruxton and on Saturday I even took it to work (110 miles round trip). It's now not only properly swift, but it also stops and handles. Standby for some piccies sometime soon......

M400too

Post by M400too »

Yes have a feeling mine will never be finished

erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Last time we went (2010?) we used the Travel Destinations campsite just inside the circuit from Terte Rouge. It was ideal, and secure. Not sure if they are advertising packages yet for 2016 - will take a look. As previously mentioned, provided it doesn't clash with any races I'm happy to bring my LR110 and trailer as support and luggage barge.

M400too

Post by M400too »

I have a ford ranger and looking for a trailer car is now a running chassis so just body work and panels then trim to do so it may well get to there - I think I would ferry from hull across as less

So just camping package needed