Classic Le Mans 2016

Moderators: sgrant, jonclancy

alleggerita

Re: Classic Le Mans 2016

Post by alleggerita »

For sure my XI won't be ready for '16. However, its donor will be, so I plan to go with that car. Would you mind if we (my son and I) join the party? It's a fairly modest side valve Ford Anglia '59 (type 100E for the connaisseurs) so it will add to the period atmosphere I guess. In order to convince you lot: I'll bring a couple of trays of Kanon beer for the BBQ. You may ask Charles how effective that stuff is.

edited for grammar

jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

http://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/news_final.asp?news_ID=75

http://lemansrace.com/accommodation/tra ... he-curves/

My leave bid is going in. I'll hear if I'm coming in Feb sometime!

Arrive Thurs, leave Mon? :)

jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Ferry looks to be £400 return!

M400too

Post by M400too »

You tagging on to triumph club

Splat

Post by Splat »

RIGHT......

I'd really like to go, but I'm not going by myself. My uncle is a serial Le Mans goer (2018 will be his 50th anniversary). He even appears in the opening credits to Le Mans, the movie! But, since his cancer treatment left him with damaged nerve endings and he destroyed my aunts car in a supermarket car park, he's given up driving. Two of us in an Eleven would mean glamping at the very least (he's also decided that in his late sixties he's beyond waking up in a hedge) but retirement precludes the expense this year. I can happily manage solo, having recently purchased camping gear that'll fit into the back seat of the Chipmunk, but hate holidaying alone.....

So, I propose booking with a reliable operator, such as Travel Destinations. I'd prefer to use one of their private, on circuit campsites (I've used the public facilities at Le Mans once too often!!!) which is slightly more expensive than the basic public campsites, but well worth the extra, but I won't be going unless some other likeminded oddballs are willing to take their totally daft cars too. See their website for a rough idea of price, which includes the weekend ticket and ferry crossing.

So, who wants to go?

ps I like beer and cheese.....

jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Subject to leave application being approved and my engine being fixed Inexpensively, I'm in!

I won't go into detail, but life's a little, er, interesting housewise at the moment. No garage and workshop to speak of etc etc, most of my stuff in boxes, and a project that's overrun, over budget, undermanned and underfunded! Just like my old place of work!! :D

So, if I can find some way of getting my motor fixed, then I can do the other minor jobs to prepare for the run into France in a few months time...

StephenH

Post by StephenH »

I'd love to do something like this, but no chance this year as the chances of my car being completed and IVA'd by then are nil.

techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

Subject to various boxes being ticked, In theory Stephen (G) and myself are up for it this year in the Eleven.

How many Elevens might be going?

Potentially Stephen G, jonclancy & Splat ? (Plus various other interesting vehicles by the sound of it).

Not sure how it compares price-wise to the ferries but I'm a fan of the tunnel for the crossing.

M400too

Post by M400too »

So will you decide which one to go through I don't think I will make Iva by May but you never know but being in Scotland
Makes a trailer south only realistic option

jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I have my leave.

Need a chance of a working car now... ;)

I think I may have a plan. Will need to be doable before I commit the deposit. Not going in not an Eleven....!!