Small Alternator

All things oily!
Westfield 129

Re: Small Alternator

Post by Westfield 129 »

Yes, we made a set of blocks to hold the thing.

However, the next one I did, my own (the one in the build albums), I did with a cut off wheel and a file. Saved a trip to the machinist, and it came out just fine.

Hopefully, your threaded rod is threaded enough so that you can cut from both ends. Otherwise, you will need LH and RH taps in 3/8-24.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Yep, should be, but if not, I'll get a smaller one sent over for a few quid.

Turnbuckle 3/8" UNF. Adjustable from 120 mm to 150 mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnbuckle-3- ... 257172e1d5

This linkage is 63mm.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

As promised, some pics of the machining process.

Sorry it's taken so long - I am up to my ears in work/revision/testing at the moment! :shock:

Cheers

Jon
Attachments
XF1 054.JPG
XF1 062.JPG
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Charging light not illuminating. There's feed to the Lucas alternator, and the bulb is good so has to be the alternator field coil or internals. Joined the gang and ordered a tiny Denso unit. Adios Lucas ACR!
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

If the light and exciter circuit are reversed, the light circuit is burned out. Check the connections so that you have 12V switched going to the right section of the plug, and you should get 14 or so Volts to the battery.

The light wont work until you replace the regulator with a new one.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

It's the Lucas item that is failing to illuminate the charge lamp Jan. Bulb is good and there's 12v at the small terminal at the alternator (switched feed from ign via the bulb). But it can't be earthing via the field winding. So rather than buy another Lucas I have one of the Denso units on the way.
I see they have a separate live feed for the field winding from the ignition, and then switch the warning lamp via a second wire.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

My experience with the Lucas is that the rectifiers disintegrate and short out. The voltage regulators will fare a little better, but not much.

I was replacing two rectifiers for every regulator. Eventually, I went to a Denso type and have never had another problem, other than hooking up the 12V circuit and the light incorrectly. 'Forgot the color code...

One of the interesting problems that I ran into with the Lucas was a problem of over charging (bad regulator), which caused some tuning problems as the ignition points burned in short order.

In the end I had to do alternator voltage checks regularly. Best to have a volt meter installed in the panel so that the system can be monitored.

While the Lucas parts are cheap, so are the Denso type alternators. Even the Chinese copies are better than the best of the period Lucas units, and the output is substantially higher. Running halogen headlights was no longer a gamble.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Teeny Weeny Denso alternator fitted. Genuine Denso MIJ item from E Bay for £80. After 35 years in manufacturing I really don't like to buy from China unless absolutely essential. Went and bought the correct connector for another £12.99 then found one on a scrap Corolla for free. So if anyone needs the oval 3 wire plug let me know - you're welcome to it. Used a hacksaw and filing to remove the 5mm or so needed to get it all to align. Didn't go the turnbuckle route - needed to use what I had to hand, so a modified Land Rover alternator adjustment bracket used. I found an 850mm x 10mm wide belt works nicely. Hopefully the last time I have to mess with an alternator!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Charles,

Please may I claim dibs on the plug? I'll drop you a PM if it is still available.

VMT!
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Sure - no problem. Your's when you need it.