Toyota 4AGE into Eleven will go (one way or another)

All things oily!
alleggerita

Re: Toyota 4AGE into Eleven will go (one way or another)

Post by alleggerita »

hi Malcolm,

I sent you a PM
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Progress is typically slow. Cash constrained - I can only go as fast as the income from my two part time jobs will allow! I've made the decision to go throttle bodies and use the Megasquirt ECU which is frankly cheap, but seems adequate. It can also be configured to use the stock Toyota distributor and as I have a new one with the engine it seems a shame not to use it. I also don't want the engine to look modern with direct ignition coil packs.
Got my TRD cams re-ground by Kent to their 282 deg profile, 8.2mm lift which should be enough for 160hp plus. Saved about £170 over new cams. Stripped the short block to free up the crank so it can go for balancing with the front pulley, flywheel and clutch. Should get that done next week. Then I can start the real engine build up. I'm also chasing Wossner for the piston dome volume so I can work out optimum head gasket thickness & CR once I've cc'd the chambers. 11:1 seems about right for super unleaded.
Once the engine is built up I need to try it in the car and see if there are any major problems with the installation. Hopefully I'll sit it on a wooden block at the desired height and fab the mounts to suit.
Also need to buy a Saab clutch slave and get it to work with the Tilton clutch.
Doubt it will be ready for the first race, but if I get some track miles and testing this year I'll be happy.
allymally

Post by allymally »

Hi Charles, thanks for the update. The old cash problem! That does interfere with most of us I afraid! Still progress is progress :) sounds like you are doing a good job .
All the best Malc
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Update on progress:
Short block all assembled after having the crank, flywheel and clutch balanced. Rear crank oil seal and oil pump fitted along with pick up pipe and sump. Nice that the stock 4AGE comes with a neat separate windage tray that sits between the sump and block.
Dug the head out from my pile of bits. Needed a little fettling of sharp edges after the larger valve seats had been fitted. Once that was done I CC'd the chambers to work out what gasket thickness I needed. A 1.0mm gasket will give me 10.85:1 or a 0.8mm gasket results in 11.1:1. Given I'm running reasonably high duration cams that reduce the effective CR due to overlap I'm going for the 0.8mm version.

Ordered the concentric clutch slave from Burton. £130 with the release bearing but worth the money! Nicely made from aluminium billet and hard anodised. I'm going to run rigid pipes for feed and bleed to a bracket mounted on the bellhousing to pick up on a braided hose for feed and a bleed nipple. Also ordered a 184mm organic sprung hub centre plate from Helix that will hopefully give the delicate axle an easier time that the more usual sintered un-sprung race plate.

Next job is to lap the valves to their seats and build up the head and cams. Plan is to have the engine & gearbox built up by the end of the month, then March is all about fitting it into the car. Then I get into all the fiddly bits of electrics to install the ECU and sensors, and the HP fuel system. If it is all running and ready for the rolling road by end of April I'll be pleased!

Feels good to finally be putting things together. Got the invitation to the Spa Summer Classic via email, but I shan't be ready for that this year. Maybe the September meeting?

I've been asked if I can show the car at Race Retro on the 750MC stand as the SR&GT representative, so if any of you are going you'll hopefully see it there. Without engine or gearbox of course!
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

One step forward; two steps back. After a painful half day installing the valves (tweezers, reading glasses and bright light) I got the head on the block and all torqued down with a TRD MLS gasket. Felt I was making progress. However, after installing the cams and checking the valve clearances some are too far out to get within limit using the stock Toyota shims. So whoever fitted the new valve seats in the head did not machine them all to the dame depth. Sigh. Fortunately the clearances are too big so I can re-cut the seats to give the right tolerances for the stock shims. But the head has to come off and be stripped again. While the seats are being re-cut I'll put one of my spare heads on so I can at least offer the engine and gearbox up to the chassis and start to figure out best location and mountings.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

[attachment=2]Photo0056.jpg[/attachment]Getting there - slowly. Engine and box now in the car and no major fouls. With it canted over about 5 deg to the exhaust side the throttle bodies clear OK. Engine and g/box mounts all fabbed up and just about sorted out the coolant pipe runs. Still looking for a propshaft - either need a Ford Rocket splined front end to machine to fit my old Midget prop, or a complete Ford prop to shorten and then machine a PCD adaptor to connect it to the diff flange. Nothing cheap or local so far but there are plenty of new props available for the rally boys if need be. Exhaust will need a lot of cutting and shutting. Usually not a big deal but my fancy stainless TRD manifold to fit a Corolla needs TIG welding so I'll have to enlist outside help once I've worked out what is needed.

Engine is fitted with the spare cylinder head as it turns out the new oversize seats in my good head have not been cut to consistent depths to I can't get the valve clearances within tolerance. So it is off being re-machined whilst I figure out the installation.

The oil filler will have to be machined flush but I can use one of the handy screw in core plugs in the top of the head as a breather tower and oil filler. As with the Type 9 the Westy crossmember has had to go to clear the Rocket gearlever.

Time to order the ECU - Megasquirt planned. I think I can use the ignition trigger in the distributor both to trigger the spark and send engine speed to the ECU. Will be batch firing the injectors so sequencing not important. The throttle bodies already have the stock potentiometer fitted, and there are two possible locations for coolant temp sensor on the engine. Then just need an air temp sensor to complete the inputs. Tracking swirl pots on EBay, and also a high pressure pump.

Think I'm going to need a slight bonnet bump to clear the front of the cam covers but not much. Using the stock sump with 3" of clearance.

Feels as if it might actually one day run! Meanwhile race pass me by...

Apologies for the shit photos - that's what happens when you use a phone to take pictures. Especially when you are not used to doing so!

[attachment=0]Photo0058.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]Photo0055.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]Photo0056.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Photo0058.jpg
Front
Front
RHS view
RHS view
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Nice work!
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Did you consider going megasquirt and spark for the full fuel and ignition control?
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Briefly, but I want the installation to look as retro as possible and my engine came a a new OE distributor, so I decided to stick with the distributor to trigger the spark and "distribute" the HT output, and let the ECU just do the advance.
Engine now fully built up, and hopefully installed for the last time (for a while at least). Clutch works OK but is heavy - think the diaphragm is a heavier one than I really need, but it's manageable. I'm sure I won't notice it when racing!
Sorted the coolant runs and managed to find / make adaptors to use the old Midget mechanical temp and oil press gauge. Got all the connectors I need for injectors and sensors, so will start on the wiring soon.
Prop with QPrep being shortened and they're making a pcd adaptor to allow me to bolt the Ford prop flange to the BMC diff. Bigger 3" prop tube fouls the handbrake so time permitting I@ll have to move it - may just end up running without it for now. Only need it for the MoT!
Oil cooler back in place and pipes connected. Alternator moved to the LHS, new brackets made and belt sourced.
Exhaust manifold cut and shut to fit but really needs doing properly at some time. Right now it's a stainless manifold welded with MS MIG wire so will probably crack after a while. Hopefully will get me to winter when I can have someone with a TIG do a nicer job.
Rolling road session booked for 24th July. IF it goes OK I may be able to race at Snetterton on the 2nd Aug. Big "if", but fingers crossed.
Aside from the wiring and fuel system I've got to work out a throttle linkage, and get to grips with having my old laptop talk to the ECU. My aim is to have it all working and hopefully at least running in some fashion before I get to the rolling road.
Stock bonnet will not quite clear the cam pulleys and oil filler, but hope to buy a Lotus XV type ally bulge from Ben that should look good.
allymally

Post by allymally »

Well done Charles, sounds like you are well on the way now! On the spot engineering takes more time than you think don't it! all the very best, hope to see you soon. Malc

Just about finished my first project!
[attachment=0]2015-06-12_11_21_25 am.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
2015-06-12_11_21_25 am.JPG