Steering Rack Travel Limiters

All things oily!
Simon Marks

Steering Rack Travel Limiters

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi, All,

I've finally got round to altering the travel limiters on my Eleven. I run 13" wheels, with 165/70 tyres and have always felt that the limiters were too severe as there was no clash between bodywork and wheels and I could get a couple of fingers between the two at full lock. My turning circle with the Westfield specified lengths (14mm near side and 42mm off side) ended up at 18metres!

I took both spacers out, and put the small spacer back in the off-side. The car is noticeably more manageable in a tight space and I still have no clashes with wheels and bodywork. I have yet to measure the turning circle. It may be possible to remove the small spacer from the right hand side of the rack so I'll have to have another look and a think.

I wonder what other folk's experience has been and if we can provide better advice for those building kits?

One piece of advice that I do have is to make up nylon tubes as spacers and not use the steel ones supplied in the kit. I didn't like the idea of the latter being rammed into the aluminium parts of the rack every time that full lock was applied. Apparently Mark Walker at the factory is now promoting this idea (I did tell him what I had done)!

Simon
bobwhittaker

Re: Steering Rack Travel Limiters

Post by bobwhittaker »

A simple adjustable stop is to use a " Jubilee Clip " or similar , see previous threads .
Simon Marks

Re: Steering Rack Travel Limiters

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi, Bob,

The jubilee clip may be a better short-term IVA option as it can be installed and removed without dismantling the track rods. Another improvement on the antiquated Westfield XI Build Manual!

I am hoping to collate limiter lengths needed for the various wheel / tyre sizes to advise new builders as to what they would need to fit to avoid clashes with the bodywork.

Simon