Westfield Cobra seat certification

All things oily!
Redmax

Westfield Cobra seat certification

Post by Redmax »

The DVSA would like to see the certification for the Cobra seats before they'll provide me with an IVA. Their concern is that due to change of direction of the seat belt from the anchorage point, the seat must be approved to withstand the resulting loads and forces.

Westfield assure me they have the certification documentation, but I'm struggling to actually get anyone to physically send it to me! I'm only a few days away from having to reschedule my retest if I don't have those details in my hands.

Has anyone else been provided this certification from Westfield that they could dig out and send me please?

Thanks

Jason
jonjh1964

Re: Westfield Cobra seat certification

Post by jonjh1964 »

Jason,

Where are you having your IVA done - this isn’t the tester at Gillingham that appears to have a problem with the Sports Turbo seat?

I’m planning to use Sports Turbo seats for my IVA at Exeter, hopefully i’ll Be applying this weekend.

Jon
Redmax

Post by Redmax »

My IVA was at Kidderminster. I chose there as it's apparently where the factory go so thought I'd have less issues..!

My retest is on the 29th, but I'm getting close to the point where I'll have to reschedule if Westfield don't deliver. I'll call him again today.

I guess I may have to resort to the passenger headrest option but I'd obviously rather not.
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

I took mine to Kidderminster in August 2016 with Sports Turbo seats on loan from the factory. No problems - the tester was used to this configuration and did not ask for any paperwork. Mark Walker always told me there would be no problem with the homologated seats - finding the Homologation Certificate sounds like being a bigger deal!

Simon
Attachments
Small IMG_1189.jpg
Small Crop IMG_1188.jpg
Redmax

Post by Redmax »

I know, I'm quite concerned about it.

The lad who did the test was very good but did say he hadn't done an XI before. The whole thing seems like such a lottery...
Redmax

Post by Redmax »

P.S. Simon - could you (or anybody else) upload a photo showing the position of your rear reflectors for the IVA please. Mine failed for being too small (although I couldn't find anywhere in the manual that mandates a size). I've got some rectangular ones that came from Westfield, and some round ones, both are E-marked which was their other requirement. I can't find anywhere flat enough on the bodywork, particularly the nearside, to take the rectangular ones and even the smaller round ones don't fit wonderfully.

Thanks

Jason
Redmax

Post by Redmax »

Thankfully I've received the report from Westfield, hopefully it'll do the job. They've asked me not to share it so I won't, but for future reference it does exist if needed. Fingers crossed for Monday then...
jonjh1964

Post by jonjh1964 »

Jason,

How did you get on with your IVA?

Mine eventually passed at Exeter, no questions over the seats but I had to re-route the outer harness belts between the bulkhead and bodywork and then fettle the bodywork so the belt went straight from the mount to the back of the seat. This was the most significant thing but I also had to sort out my speedo sensor alignment/spacing (Smiths electronic gauge), adjust the headlights, adjust the handbrake, reconnect the accelerate cable at the pedal end and noise at 3/4 of 5,500 rpm was 99.4dB even with the exhaust cone fitted.

I've submitted my paperwork to the DVLA and now slowly converting the car into it's final road going standard.

Jon
Redmax

Post by Redmax »

Hi John

Finally passed, third time lucky on the noise though - despite having an intermediate silencer made to replace the straight pipe I still had to resort to wire wool in the end!

The seat documentation was accepted by Kidderminster no problem, but my seatbelt routing through the bulkhead was fine, just goes to show what a lottery the IVA process is.

I've got my period number from the DVLA now so that was all good, I'm pretty much finished! Just waiting for the V5 to come for my personal number plate and it'll be time for the first trip out onto the road.

In terms of future jobs, the mirrors are next to useless so I need to look at alternatives, and I still can't find a non-stretching door stay solution that I'm happy with.

Here's some pics :-)

[attachment=1]1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]3.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
alleggerita

Post by alleggerita »

Cracking result!

I always thought that fuel caps needed to be recessed or flush with the bodywork. Yours is sticking out so obviously no problem?

Nice garage BTW, very tidy indeed.