Wood Rim Mota Lita Wheel Boss

All things oily!
seajayare

Wood Rim Mota Lita Wheel Boss

Post by seajayare »

After a couple of years not doing much on the XI I have started to play again and put the wood rim steering wheel that I got from Westfield all those years ago when I bought the kit. It all fts (which is nice) but there is only about 1mm between the top of the scuttle and the rim making it impossible to actually turn the wheel without taking your hands off.

Has anybody got a work round? I don't fancy cutting out the scuttle and there doesn't seem to be a "longer" boss available.The supplied mountney wheel for the IVA is dished which would make it a bit easier but still not spacious (I wasn't supplied with a boss for the Mountney but you can rest it on the Mota Lita boss and get an idea)

Cheers
Chris
Westfield 129

Re: Wood Rim Mota Lita Wheel Boss

Post by Westfield 129 »

Make a spacer. There should be about 7" between the wheel and the instrument panel.
This can be machined to fit at the wheel boss, or you can install a quick release with a tube extension on the steering shaft.
If you go with a steering shaft extension, you will need to have it TIG welded.
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

Sorted.with.a.quick release hub that fixes onto the mota-lita boss (no welding). It also makes getting into the car easier!! The one i used is by BG bit the mota lita one which gives the possibility of using 6 bolt and 9 built wheels.
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Glad that works. Quick release steering wheel is not permitted for IVA but some can be locked so hopefully allowable during the test.