Timing cover

All things oily!
Morris

Timing cover

Post by Morris »

Hi,

A very basic question for those in the know!

My timing cover had a TDC mark painted onto it which bizzarely disappeared when I stripped all the paint off (...!).

There aren't any physical timing marks on it at all now, with only the single mark on the crank pulley.

Is this going to prevent me from setting the distributor timing or is there a work around?

Many thanks.

Morris.
seajayare

Re: Timing cover

Post by seajayare »

the loss of your timing marks shouldn't be a big problem for you. it's straightforward to find TDC through the spark plug hole of number 1 cylinder and then you can make new marks to either align with the existing crank pulley one or somewhere new on the pulley/engine thats easier to find

I personally use a long narrow bladed screwdriver down the plughole to rest on the piston and turn the engine by hand and watch the screwdriver rise and fall to try and get the centre of the max lift of the piston ( make sure the cylinder is on the compression stroke)

My way isn't the best way but it's what I do, but do be careful not to drop anything into the cylinder! I am sure google will bring up many alternative methods.

once you have TDC you can put any other marks on the pulley by measuring it's diameter and a bit of maths or if you have the right timing light you will only need TDC

BTW my timing marks are pointers on the underside of the engine not markings on the timing cover, I am sure you've looked but just in case

cheers
Morris

Post by Morris »

Many thanks, that's a big relief.

Btw I didn't realize there may be timing marks on the underside of the engine, although during its rebuild I didn't notice any markings.

This may be the final hurdle before sending it to the Dyno!

Morris.
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

if you do a search on google images I am sure you'll find a better image of the timing markers I have on my engine but here is a link to one of them that has a couple of drawings

https://www.mgexp.com/phile/3/197903/Mi ... _marks.jpg
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi All,

Hope you’re all safe and well.

My engine had no timing marks. At Slark’s, Neil used a dial gauge with extension to accurately find TDC. He then re-marked.

If you can mark TDC, and set the static timing, then using a Dial-Back strobe will sort your timing right out. Something like the Accuspark SP8000.

If the car runs ok, then I guess all this could be done on the dyno.

Good luck! Glad to see some XI progress being made. Mine is still SORNed and garaged, with another car stuck in front of it for the time being.