anti roll bar mounting

All things oily!
seajayare

anti roll bar mounting

Post by seajayare »

I have the Westfield anti roll bar fitted. I have mounted it with the split aluminium blocks that and used the longer bolts supplied by Westfield to mount the blocks to the forward upper wishbone mount on the forward side of the wishbone. This puts the blocks right at the point where the roll bar bends back and as a result the blocks grip the anti roll bar so tight that the bar can't be moved (rotated) by hand. I have "relieved" the blocks to move the grip point a bit away from the roll bar bend and it has helped a bit but it's still a very tight fit. Any handy hints?

cheers
Attachments
image.png
Westfield 129

Re: anti roll bar mounting

Post by Westfield 129 »

This is a universal problem with the anti roll bar kit from Westfield. The kits are not accurate.
If your bar is being captured by the blocks at the bend, you may have to get another bar from Westfield.
Or... If this is a tight setup, there are a couple of things you can do.
First, drill the mounting blocks for a grease fitting.
Second, you can counter bore the blocks just enough to clear the edge of the bend radius. This may not completely release the bar, but it will help with "break in".

Don't forget to remove the powder coat from the area that is captured by the blocks.

My setup was an early Westfield kit, and it had the same problems. However, after the counter bore and the installation of the grease fittings, and a few hundred miles, the bar is nice and free.

Another problem with the bars is that they are not uniform at the ends. Often, one end is longer than the other, and may need to be cut. Remember that the ends of the bar are welded, and you will have to re weld after you make the change in length and make your adjustments.
Adjust your anti roll bar to zero preload WITH THE DRIVER'S WEIGHT IN THE SEAT.
Disconnect the bar to do any ride height/corner weight adjustments.
Oh, and if you get LH and RH threaded rod ends, you can then make LH /RH links that will greatly speed the adjustment as you won't have to remove the rod ends to make any adjustments.
Westfield 129

Re: anti roll bar mounting

Post by Westfield 129 »

Of the 4 anti roll bar installations that I have done, I had to counterbore the blocks to clear the bend radius on all of them.
The counterbore is no more than about 1/8" deep, and in at least one case, I just used a countersink to make enough clearance for the bar bend radius.
The fit is pretty tight, so if you want everything to move properly, you will have to grease it using the recommended zerk fittings.
After a while, it will wear in, and be a proper anti roll bar without binding.