It lives again!

All things oily!
erictharg

It lives again!

Post by erictharg »

First run out this morning with the new engine and everything went well. Did maybe 70 miles of back roads, mostly accelerating pretty hard from 50 to 70, slowing down and repeating to bed the rings in. Nothing over 4500 rpm yet. All on the SU because I know the mixture is right.
No nasty leaks and the new Metro radiator is brilliant. At least 15 deg cooler than the original MG Midget rad,and I've not even added any ducting yet. For a road car you'd probably have to blank some of it off in cooler weather. A pretty easy install too, if anyone is interested. Managed to use the original ally water pipes, plus about £50 of new silicone hoses.
Switched to the Weber this afternoon, expecting the worst. Fired up and ran sweet as a nut. Idle screws open one turn and it idles smoothly, no flat spots. Jetting must be almost perfect. God bless the guy I bought it from! Crisper response than the SU but hard to tell how much better it as as still not going above 5000 rpm. Rolling road Friday to optimise the carb and set the timing.
Mknight702

Re: It lives again!

Post by Mknight702 »

Sounds good, what is your race calendar like for this year?

Oh and is anyone doing the Le Mans Parade this year. I can't as I have no holiday left, perhaps I'll have enough for the Classic in 2012....
brian

Post by brian »

Isn't it great when things work out! It sounds as if the car is much improved. Where are you doing the rolling road session?
Brian
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Great news Charles - that's fantastic. Good news on the carb as well, took me absolutely ages to get mine running on a Weber.

Keep us posted.

stephen
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Got a day holiday book for Friday. MoT first thing, then over to Peter Baldwin for noon to get everything just so. Once It's got through a rolling road session and seen 7000 rpm full load I'll feel a bit more relaxed. Building engines is a love / hate thing. You spend all that money and time and all it takes is one tiny things and it's wasted. Or worse - scrap!
First race (double header) at Mallory on the 3rd April. For the rest of the calendar check out SR&GT website. I also fancy trying one of the new Open Sportscar races (BARC) as they have a class for Eleven's. As I'm likely to be the only one could be sure fire class win...sad, I know. But it pleases my mum when I win things.
Anyone interested in the track day at Rockingham on 24th April? Pricey, as Rockingham always is, but the infield is good fun in an Eleven, and we could book a garage in case of bad weather. I've promised Austen a drive in the Eleven in case I end up double entering the 6 hour endurance event at Snetterton in summer, so would be good if we made an Elevens day out of it. I'ts pretty handy for Brian and Matthew. Bit more of a drag for Stephen, but if you came up the day before you can stay with us in Oundle. Only 20 mins away...
check out Book a Track website.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

I'll take a look Charles but, in principal - yes, i'd love to come along.

s
brian

Post by brian »

Rockingham sounds interesting - who are the organisers? It's the day before Andrea's birthday but I might be able to wangle it...

Good luck with Mr Baldwin on Friday.
B
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Trackday is a "Book a Track" event. I'm on their mailing list. £250 for the day, but it's open pit so you can wear your car out as much as you want! Plus a free Easter egg. The infield is great in an Eleven. Lots of swooping corners = lot's of sliding. Then a short time on the oval to gather your thoughts and get ready for the first hairpin again. Their garages will hold four Elevens easy. You could bring Andrea along as part of her birthday present! Even give her the Easter Egg. What more could any woman want?
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

24th April you say. Damn, I think we're in Scotland. :(
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Think i'm in the lake district :( But might see if I can come back a day early and come up to Rockingham....