sgrant

Build diary

Post by sgrant »

Someone's got one on the go -> http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm

stephen
beng4

Re: Build diary

Post by beng4 »

Yeah but what a shame that poor midget was used as a donor, lovely little cars in their own right and that one looked far too nice to butcher....
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Totally agree. It's not a great choice of donor car really......a proper classic in its own right.
beng4

Post by beng4 »

The midget etc.... are great cars as donor cars, period engines, gearbox, back axle these give the correct feel and are absolutely right for the car. There are just so many potential cars and parts around that are not proper running cars. there there is no need to break a good and decent running car, plenty of donors still around that are beyond economic repair as mg midgets.... Lazy option. (Accept Maybe controversial view)

B.
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd say hello and admit that I'm the Lazy Butcher!!!! Not sure lazy was the thought when I stole (sorry I mean bought) the midget from its previous keeper.

The appeal to me was it had just had a recon box, a brand new set of Minotaur alloys with new tyres and the fact I could drive and feel what I was getting rather than p*****g in the wind buying something for £600 that was a total gamble. I have done the honourable thing and sold all the bits back in to the MG world and recouped nearly half what she cost me. That added to the bits that I would have bought ie wheels and possibly a gearbox and I have basically covered the cost of the Midget.

I agree and have said in my build diary that it was a travesty to dismantle the Midget but If a Midget has a log book then in theory breaking up any car be it a wreck or a concours car in some people's eyes is murder!!!!

I hope I can regain some respect and will not be totally outcast by turning the little blue beauty into an even more beautiful Eleven.

Cheers
Simon
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
beng4

Post by beng4 »

Hey si, no hard feelings, gain some respect by building a great example! Just love old midgets, and would love a decent example in my garage as well. Looking fwd to seeing your build progress, lots of expertise on here, just ask for help if needed.

B.
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Hi Si. I've just got my XI on the road after an over-long build.
Best of luck with yours. If you would like to share any of the experience PM me.
Best wishes Ian.
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Thanks for the offers of assistance I know I will be taking you up on it as this will be my maiden voyage into anything like this. My Dad and my brother have both built Sevens so will be able to offer some moral support but someone who has actually faced the same challenge will be a cracking resource!!!

Cheers
Si
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
Splat

Post by Splat »

Hi Si,

My Eleven was "professionally" built in 2005. The builder was also the factory test driver at the time, whilst doing the same job for Marcos and also running a race workshop. Mine was the fifth of five that he built. I bought it from the first owner, a Caterham racer.

Being "professionally" built (note my repeated use of quotation marks) it was built to a strict budget. By the time I bought it 4 years and 12,000 miles later, it was barely hanging together. All the correct bits were there, it's just that they'd been unbolted from the donor, given a lick of paint, and then bolted onto the Westie. My advice would be to strip and rebuild ALL of the donor components THOROUGHLY. It's actually why you may have been better off buying a basket case rather than an ostensibly sound car; if you're going to do this right, then you'll be renewing an awful lot of your donor parts. The donor Midget is from a different era. Don't think 1960s or '70s, it's a bitsa, assembled by Healey in Warks. in 1958 from BMC components that themselves were over a decade old. This is 1940s tech. and metallurgical science.

Still, if you do do it right, you'll have one of the most enjoyable cars on the road. I speak as one who whilst owning an Eleven has run an Avantime, a Clio V6 and most recently a Gallardo as daily drivers. The Eleven is the car that I take out when I fancy a giggle! In fact, I'm just waiting for "her" to go shopping so that I can take it out right now.......
Splat

Post by Splat »

ps: I've spent four years putting it right, whilst driving it too. It now just needs a rebuilt diff (the drive splines are worn causing drive-chain lash) and new suspension bushing. I'll be looking into polyurethane bushes and better dampers this winter. Also, the 5-speed Ford T9 'box makes for a much better car on modern roads (although I note your comments about the donor box). I also run 9" front rotors and MGB calipers. An LSD may be a benefit, but I really wouldn't bother with the very expensive rear disc conversion.