Lotus Breadvan

Everything else Eleven related
Si Richards

Lotus Breadvan

Post by Si Richards »

Saw this along with some other very beautiful Elevens at Goodwood Revival today and couldn't resist posting up some pictures.
Attachments
IMG_5228.JPG
IMG_5229.JPG
IMG_5227.JPG
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
beng4

Re: Lotus Breadvan

Post by beng4 »

My favourite car...... And also built by one of the members of this forum.
M400too

Post by M400too »

Yes this is very special
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Stunning indeed! 8-)

What size are the wheels?
beng4

Post by beng4 »

15in rims would be standard.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The rear is 5.00X15, front is a 4.50X15.

Costin has done more attractive coupes with nicer proportions. Perhaps Costin didn't do this? It looks as though someone else designed the roof and tacked it on. Costin's coupes were much more, um... voluptuous and organic.

What is most interesting is the radiator air duct outlet on the top of the nose, rather than beneath the car, as was Costin's (and everyone else's) practice at that time. Again, this seems to be a later modification of what appears to be a modification.

I don't recall seeing this feature on later front engine Lotus sports racers like the more powerful 15, the 23/19 mid engine sports racers (Costin designed) or the F1 25 and 35.

Ducting the radiator air through the bonnet came a bit later, in the early 60s, with American hot rodders at Mecom Racing in Texas, with their Ford then Chevy powered Lola GT, and the Lola GT based Ford GT. Some US modified V8 powered versions of the 19 and the Cooper Monaco had the upward radiator ducts as well. Those big V8s proved a little more difficult to cool than the half as powerful Coventry Climax 6s that were previously popular.
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Allymaly - is this the one you did some work on?
allymally

Post by allymally »

Hi All, yes Adam I was involved in the recreation of the Lotus Breadvan.

I had the pleasure of Meeting Graham Capel the owner creator of the Lotus "Breadvan", His thoughts were that if the Ferrari Breadvan had done so well then perhaps the restyled Lotus eleven may also prove quick.
The Lotus Breadvan had many class wins back in its day, a second Breadvan was made and I believe it race in Scotland.

The Breadvan Raced again earlier this year at Goodwood at the 72 members meeting "Moss Trophy".

Have A Look on YouTube.

It almost Won the Hour long race only being piped to the post by an Aston Martin by half a second! the car not only looked stunning in its original livery and ran rings around its big engine rivals :)

IMO The breadvan is a stunning looking car!
[attachment=0]DSC_8537.jpg[/attachment]

Tip! Air intakes face forward outlets to rear ! :lol:
Attachments
DSC_8537.jpg
Splat

Post by Splat »

It sat on the tail of the JCB 250GTO throughout the first half of the hour-long TT celebration race yesterday. Like a terrier hounding a retriever. Great to watch. As ever, getting out of and later, back into our car took forever as a queue of people formed to ask about it! Met one German? chap who claimed to be looking at one today with a view to purchase. Climax-engined early car in blue. Anybody here?
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Another tip:

Air inlets should be in a high pressure area (so air goes in), while air outlets should be in a low pressure area (so the air goes out). Which way it faces may have no bearing on this at all.

Think about this for a moment:

Most passenger cars take in HVAC air from a rear facing duct at the base of the windshield, which is a high pressure area... NASCAR and some other production based racers take in their intake air from a rear facing duct at the base of the windshield as well. Sometimes, the inlet placement requirers quite a bit of study and testing.

Placement of cooling outlet ducts out the top of the bonnet is critical, as you want improved flow, not reverse or impeded flow. Even a backwards facing or upwards facing duct can have air flowing IN, rather than OUT. It depends on the surrounding pressure and the pressure gradient. Sometimes, a small lip is added to trip the airflow and cause a low pressure area to improve flow.

And... Fordward facing ducts can cause drag, which is something to be avoided. While "NACA" ducts are low drag, they can be low volume, so placement is still critical

I was wondering how much drag reduction there was with the larger frontal area and the upright windscreen. It is an interesting car, reflecting much later thinking than the Lotus 11s late 50's origins.

The Ferrari Bread van (a 250 SWB) was driven on the streets here in Los Angeles by a local collector in the late 60s. It was a relatively common sight until it was involved in a minor traffic accident and subsequently sold (probably for less than $4000).