Starting the search for an XI

Everything else Eleven related
Lonefurrow

Starting the search for an XI

Post by Lonefurrow »

Hi all,

I've started to look for an XI (I'm based just south of London), and have some newby questions that I hope some of you can help answer. Obviously, there is only a limited no. of cars available at any one time, but what are the most important things to look for?

Some specific questions:

* How useable and reliable is an A-series once above 110BHP? Do they require much additional maintenance with that sort of power?
* Is the bodywork all GRP on all WXIs?
* I'm sure it varies with suspension set up but, in general, is it possible to clear a standard speed bump with an XI?
* I assume that non-Q plate registrations are from the donor cars, and so most cars are tax exempt, correct?
* How much generally do they weigh with an A-series?
* Do any of you live near Kent/South London? I'd love to get a ride in one before taking the plunge :)

I've found one car that looks v.nice - any comments/previous owners on here?

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/clas ... 06/4352389

Appreciate any responses to my questions - hopefully will be joining you as an owner in the coming months...

Regards
Tim
beng4

Re: Starting the search for an XI

Post by beng4 »

Hi Tim,

Hopefully i can answer some of these, although my eleven is more of a replica eleven than the westfield: the A series is a great little motor in these cars, totally period feel, and very tunable. These cars are not about huge horsepower, they perform great on relatively little power, they are more about maintaining speed through corners and keeping the motor on the boil. i reckon about 90-100bhp is about right for the cars and with regular oil changes should be pretty reliable- im sure others with more experience will chip in. I put charles bests med race engine from his race westfield in mine about 6 months ago, at around 120bhp its fun, but a little extreme for road use and town driving is tiresome..... The front, rear, scuttle and doors are made in grp, the side pods are ali.

Speed bumps are a little difficult, the sump being the low point on the car that just touches the lowish speedbumps round here. An old plate is an age related plate that the dvla assign to you after taking you donor plate off you. These cars unfortunately dont get tax the exempt status of the donor, they are taxed at the standard rate for cars pre 2001 under 1600cc. Some lucky people have managed to get theirs tax exempt, but dvla started looking out for this a few years ago. Mine weighs 450kg with the a series and box, i think westies are about 550kgs as they have a heavier frame and steel floors.

Hope some of this helps, im sure others will be on here soon to fill in bits ive missed....

Ben
allymally

Post by allymally »

Hi Tim,

Ben has given you the answers to your questions.

The Westfield in the link certainly looks great and has the advantage of the Ford gearbox I feel it could be slightly over tuned for British roads/ traffic jams etc. It depends how you are going to use the car, if you intend a bit of competition use, this car sounds OK. Its a bit tarty for my taste, you may not want to scratch it. ;)
The only way is to go and try it,
Don't overlook Mark Woodbridge's K series car which I can recommend,that's if it hasn't gone already! Oh and its Historic Tax exempt :)

And If you really want a quick one for a bit more money ;)
All the very best Malc
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I didn't realise Mark's was for sale...

... but both Malc and I can confirm it's chuffing quick!!!!!! :)

And I can confirm Malc's car is a peach... if not a Westfield! ;) :D

Welcome to the forum, Tim.

Jon
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Don't worry about "over tuning". I have a Westfield 11 with a 1380 engine with a Longman race head, SPVP3 Vizard cam, and a 45 DCOE, and it works perfectly well in Los Angeles traffic, and in the canyons. It's hot here, and it has no problems in 110F heat. The thing will do about 100 mph in the quarter mile, and it is more than quick enough to keep up with our freeway traffic, with an 80 mph cruise at less than 3800 RPM using the 5 speed Datsun transmission and a 3.9 rear axle ratio. Since I do lots of long tours, this combination with 13" wheels and 185/70 tires is quite workable, giveing plenty of cruise speed, with little engine wear.

The hot rod 1380 even works well on 91 octane fuel, with a 10.5:1 compression ratio. There is no down side to this setup, and I doubt that the engine would be less useful in the UK, as our LA traffic horrible, and it is always possible to get stuck behind some soccer mom in a huge Suburban or Escalade SUV in the canyons.

The car is light, and there really is no need for bottom end torque. Any of the 5 speed transmission options you might use will prove satisfactory.

I am even going to run 15" wheels, with 5.00X15 rear tires with my .69 5th gear and 3.9 final drive ratio. This should give me 90 mph at less than 4000 RPM, which should prove quite excellent for the long tours that I do with the car.

Anyway, there is a beutiful 1380 powered RHD W11 in Denmark. Check it out. Very well equipped.
11admire

Post by 11admire »

This is the one in Denmark for sale
Factory build 1983 as no. 52, series 1 so 140 lbs lighter than the new kits
Engine: newly build by MED, 1380cc, XT specification fast road, alu backplate, 7,5" clutch, full roller MED rockers, twin 1,5" SU modified as Dawid Wizard suggested for better flow ang fitted on a custom made manifold made by Maniflow. no expence spared to get the best engine for the road.
Gearbox: Spridget ribbed case with new bearings and SC/CR gear wheels.
Rear axel: Spridget rebuild with new bearings, seals, Quaife diff and Peter May half shafts.
All the wiring is tailor made, the switches and dials are either NOS or the original from the time the Lotus XI was made.
Wheels: 15" wire wheels from a Austin Healey 3000 fitted with new tyres 4 years ago. The 14" set that was on the car when I bought it still have Michelin XZX tyres on.
When I bought #52 ten years ago I found that the chassis and body was in a very good condition and had the patina I wanted so I have not done anything on that to make it lok like new. It is still in a very good condition as would be expected from a car that is 32 years old. I have allways kept it in a garage and it have never been out in any rain.
I have only had it on the road with nummer plates since 2012 and it goes like a rocket.
RHD
I have recently converted the cooling to waterfree coolant from Evans
Asking price is 180.000Dkr
If you want more details please let me know.

Best regards
Jorn
11admire

Post by 11admire »

Here are some recent photos of the DK XI for sale

[attachment=2]image.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]image.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]image.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Lonefurrow

Post by Lonefurrow »

Thanks for all your replies - very helpful. Good to hear that a higher state of tune doesn't preclude normal road use - I'm still a bit concerned about the speed bump that I will need to traverse to get to my house, though...

Jorn, your XI looks good, but Denmark is a way to go (from London) to view a car, and I'm time poor (good luck with the sale, though). Also, cosmetically, I do like the idea of a newer/restored chassis - aesthetically, I really like this one https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/we ... 956/314685 although that really is too far away to view!

Mark's car looks good, but I'd like a more historic/classic engine - I'm very familiar with the K-Series from owning a couple of Elises, but I'm nostalgic for the A-Series, as my 1st car was a Morris Minor, and I spent a fair amount of time tinkering with it's engine(s) 20 years ago!

I'll be back with further questions, no doubt!

T
11admire

Post by 11admire »

Hi Tim

My car is very cheap so you would have plenty of oportunities to gmake it as you would like it. Drive it for the rest of the summer and take it apart when winter comes and you would have the chance to paint it in the color of your choice and next year you would have the car you dreamed of.
All the mechanical parts are as new, chassis and body is very sound and only needs some paint to look new again.
Car is a series 1 build in 1983 so 60kg lighter than the new ones
If you have any questions please ask
I am selling the car because I need the space and money to get my VWT3 on the road to see the World with my wife.
I am 62 years of age and have had the car for ten years so I think it is time to let it go to another custodian.

Best regards
Jørn