2021 Plans

Everything else Eleven related
jonclancy

2021 Plans

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Everyone,

Hope you’re all well. Just thought I’d start the 2021 ball rolling with sharing some of my plans for this year. Despite the difficulties of Covid and the lockdown, I can still see much to be positive about.

On the XI front:

New steering rack to be fitted.
3.7 diff and new back-end bearings.
New fluids.
Timing cover oil weep.
Coolant weep.
New tonneau.
Fit 12v socket.

Most of the above is to get me to Le Mans and back in July.

Trips:

CLM July - booked.
Goodwood Sept - booked.

Prescott as and when, likewise Combe.

When the lockdown has lifted, and we can meet again, some outings around the Cotswolds, and to go and bother some of the members on here! This includes drinking Splat’s beer.

What have you got planned?

Keep smiling!

Jon
Splat

Re: 2021 Plans

Post by Splat »

Hiding beer.
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Getting Out More!
Finishing the rather delayed C Type! :shock:
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Elva 11 wrote:

> Finishing the rather delayed C Type! :shock:

Any pics for an O,T thread, please?

Splat - I know where your expensive whisky is... :D
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

O,T? Over the Top? I am so old. :shock:
I really dont think I've ever loaded a photo on this group. Any hints and tips on how to do this and I can furnish you with photos to prove that building an XI was a shrewd and prudent idea.
Happy and healthy 2021 to you all.
jonjh1964

Post by jonjh1964 »

To add a photo use the 'attachments' tab - next to options at the bottom of the page, LHSs and click 'Add files'

Having had to cancel a Euro Tour and LMC last year I'm waiting until Easter to start any real tour plans for 2021, possibly a trip around the UK if there are any hotels left.

I've managed to do most of the jobs on the car that I needed to during lockdown, only a 10V Regulator for the fuel gauge left to fit also need to book it's 1st MOT in March/April.
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Just a few pics from along the journey.
And I thought I was building another kit car like the XI- a kit implies that it all turns up in boxes and generally has ready made parts that fit together.
Welcome to my world - it's taken 2 years, IVA applied for today. :D
Seems I can only add 3 pics.
I'll add more if you're interested.
Attachments
IMG_1053s.JPG
IMG_1025s.jpg
d0aab55f-8b36-4d06-932b-686c15f96409.jpg
Splat

Post by Splat »

Seem to remember that three’s the limit for each post? And yes please! Always interested in build pics/threads, as I’m sure that most of here are too!

Who’s is the “kit”? Did I read that Jag have put the kibosh on many of them recently (now that they’ve decided to start building their own “continuations”)? My late godmother’s ex-husband (a Chartered Mechanical Engineer) built three replicas (they were really way beyond kit cars) in the ‘80. The GTD40 and 289 Cobra followed the first, a Proteus C-Type. After it was registered, he drove it only once, from his home in Leicestershire to the Sotheby’s auction in London, where it sold for over £80k. That was in around 1985!!!

Ps: apropos of not very much (other than your last photo) I love Dutch gable ends. Kent/Suffolk/Norfolk?
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

O/T = Off Topic :D

Yes please. More pics and a tale of how it went would be great, thank you!
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

3 a day then. In no particular order :D .
I'll try and put a very condensed build summary together sometime.
Bought the chassis, body, fuel tank, radiator and a few other bits from Realm Engineering. Run by Adrian Cocking a true character and proper bloke in a shed, catch phrase "It Is What It Is !"
The JLR meddling story has been put about by a few people. It's not really a problem, come on - they want £500K for a nice replica that can't be IVA passed and another £500K for a chassis plate. Realm will sell you a pile of bits for £10K, not really going to have a very profound effect on their Heritage sales.
Suffolk Sportscars who made a very nice replica SS and C Type went bust recently, citing a threat from JLR. It is considered that their main issue was selling their completed cars with a donor car V5 and no IVA. DVLA are getting a bit arsey over this and so are some of their customers who stand to have the registration of their 2 seat, sports XJ6s cancelled.
Splat, the gable end is situated in Slough, where the Daimler was dismembered, I'm in Kent.
More Soon
Attachments
IMG_1072s.JPG
IMG_1055s.JPG
IMG_1053s.JPG