Race report - Anglesey 4th Aug.

Racing and trackday chat
erictharg

Race report - Anglesey 4th Aug.

Post by erictharg »

Went straight from Northampton Motorsport up to Anglesey. It's along way. 5 hour drive inc one comfort stop. Get there to heavy rain and gusting wind at 17:00. Nice. Couldn't even get the gazebo up without ratchet strapping it to the trailer. Was resigned to sleeping in the car then one of the other SR&GT crew turned up and told me it was our turn in the pit garages. Fantastic news. Unloaded and set up camp bed in the garage. Beats the gazebo!
Joined Cheng and crew at their hotel for a nice dinner. Got back to the garage at about 22:00. All dark - power was out. So went to bed listening to the wind rattling the roller shutter doors. The power came back on at 01:05. How do I know? The lights in the garages are controlled by motion sensor switches! If I so much as twitched they came on. Morning brought varying degress of rain. Practice was 09:30 and wet. Took it easy with tyres up at 22 psi, and softened the dampers. Nice circuit in the dry I''m thinking. Qualified third from the back. Had a Sylva Phoenix and an Eclipse behind me. To be fair the Eclipse has a fairly inexperienced driver who is still feeling her way around - they normally are at the front challenging Cheng for overall honours. Car running fine but couldn't really stretch its legs in the wet.
First race was 12:05 and joy of joys the rain had stopped and the track was drying. Tyres down to 20 psi, dampers up a couple of clicks and ready. Made good start and nearly got past the row in front. Made up a place in the first corner passing Mark Bowd's GT40 (Yes - really. But it only his second race!) Second corner passed one of the other Phoenix's. Car going well. Kept the Eclipse behind me for 3 or 4 laps but eventually the huge power to weight advantage was used and it got past. One of the Phoenix's also squeezed past whilst I lost ground pulling over to be lapped (by both the other Eclipse's all over Cheng). Kept the GT40 and the other Phoenix behind me though. Good race. Car going really well - no problems. At one point was even out dragging one of the Phoenix's - must be Mr. Costin's bodywork!
Second race I fluffed the start and was last away. Need to remember I need at least 4000 rpm for a get away with this cam. Caught them all up in the usual first corner jam, got past the slower Phoenix and sepnt the race keeping him behind me, and trying to get past the GT40.
Two great races (for me) - probably the best since the ding dong with John Dickson's Esprit last year. Car is restored to better than ever. Used a 7000 rpm redline. Brakes still feeling adequate, and not enough wheelspin coming out of the slow corners to justify a limited slip diff - yet.
The Phoenix drivers were perplexed when they found out I only had 1330cc of BMC's finest vs their 1800 140 hp Zetecs. Similar weight cars too! One commented he didnt see my brakelights much - I explained I only really used them at two points on the ciruit as they otherwise seem to slow me down!
Two more class win trophies on the bookshelf.
We were so lucky with the weather - from 10:00 it stayed warm and dry with occasional sun. Poured down all the way home though!
Next race Donington 1st & 2nd Sept', and looks as if I''ll get to do the Birkett again. Good to have the car back on form.