Track Day Hullavington 3 Sep 12

Racing and trackday chat
jonclancy

Track Day Hullavington 3 Sep 12

Post by jonclancy »

A first for me, and I suspect No42.

Out on the track at Hullavington Airfield. It was a great day, the car got tweaked and saw the wrong (right) side of 4500 revs pretty much all the time it was on the track. :o

We got LOADs of photos, linked to here:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php ... -3-sep-12/

We need to work on the brakes - going to go for the twin master-cylinder option very soon. The brakes work, but pedal feel was too soft and travel too long.

Apart from that minor point, it was, well, pretty much perfect!! Running 7/10 clicks R/F for road, and 10/18 R/F on the track. The track setting almost had my teeth out on the drive home (and it's near to this venue). Roads are a bit bumpy 'round our way.

And reliable.

Nice one, TonyL! 8-)
Westfield 129

Re: Track Day Hullavington 3 Sep 12

Post by Westfield 129 »

If you have a soft. long travel brake pedal, there are a couple of things you can do.

First, bleed the system. Then, check the rear brakes for leaks at the wheel cylinders, then adjust shoes, with the hand brake rods disconnected from the levers at the rear brake. Doing this should improve the pedal somewhat.

If the problem persists, install a larger master cylinder. This is easy if you have a single master, and harder to source if you are running a tandem master cylinder.

If you go to the twin master cylinder setup, you want to use .7" or .75" master cylinders. If you have the standard Spridget brakes, the .75 should give a very firm pedal and short travel. The .7 gives slightly more travel and a little softer modulation. If you have gone to larger front brakes, you will need the larger master cylinder size.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Thanks for the quick info Jan. I know you racers have been round this loop and derived the spec.

We bled the brakes and changed the fluid only a couple of months ago. People always say the XI brakes are poor, but there is no reason we have to put up with that = change the spec so they are not poor!

We're looking at a tandem set up with bias bar like my previous SEiW. That had a very firm pedal, though, which was probably a little too much like a switch.

I'll collate some prices and post them here for future reference.

A larger MC could be a very quick and easy bolt in, mind you...
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Rally design are reasonable for brake parts if that's of any use
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

All useful info gratefully accepted!!!! :D Many thanks!

I forgot to mention that I wlll be having a close look at the rear shoe adjustment before I do anything...