Brands Hatch 28th April

Racing and trackday chat
erictharg

Brands Hatch 28th April

Post by erictharg »

Just managed to type this up and then the forum timed out and I lost it. Aargh!
So, here goes again.
First race of the season yesterday (after Donington was postponed) at Brands Hatch. Two sprint (13 mins) races on the Indy circuit, with a grid combined with the Sports Specials. Stayed dry but got cold in the afternoon once we lost the sun. What a surprise! There was a very good SR&GT entry. Two Lotus 23 replicas, Ginetta G20, Kougar, Allard J2, GT40, Toyota engined Europa (nice), Dax Cobra replica, Nomad and a jaw droppingly beautiful Porsche 917 replica. Plus me of course. We certainly had the best looking grid of the weekend.
There were two significant changes to my car I needed to evaluate. The new brake set up with twin master cylinders and bias bar, and running the rather worn second hand 450M13 Dunlop historic crossplies I bought last year but had never tried. Otherwise the car was as last year, barring oil changes and a new water pump. Had to fit a fresh set of plugs too as it was reluctant to run on all 4 cylinders from cold. The plugs and a wipe of the dist cap fixed that.
Practice went fine. The tyres had more grip that I expected and felt good, with lovely direct feedback from the steering. Also felt very benign at the limit rather than the big "let go and grab again" you get with radials. Brakes were good, with a solid consistent short pedal. Need much more force at the pedal than before but that is fine - a worthwhile trade off for the improved feel. Also makes heel and toe much easier for downshifts.
I was last but one on the grid (thanks Dave!) but made a good start in the first race and made up 4 or 5 places. Held onto them through the usual first lap traffic jams down paddock hill and into Druids. But sure enough over the next few laps the cars I had passed reel me in. A couple of incidents put a few more behind me and I finish with three cars behind me. To me that is success - not last! Car felt good and I was pushing the tyres more each lap.
A few of our cars needed patching up after coming together, but nothing too serious. I checked the Eleven over, and top off the fuel. Drop the tyre pressures by 1 psi as the ambient has warmed up a little since first thing (18 psi cold). Otherwise all fine.
Race two was also a good start, and I pushed harder to try and break the 1 minute barrier. As ever though pushing hard only seems to make you slower! Best lap race 1 was 1:00.05, and race two was 1:01.04. Had I tried harder to follow Ken Paton's advice for Graham Hill bend I might have done better. Next time maybe.
So, a good day for me. No rain. No breakdowns or crashes. Tyres and brakes worked well. Could do with a limited slip diff now (but £510 from MED...) and would love some new Dunlops. Also aware that whilst everything is working well at present my engine and gearbox have done over 2 seasons now and should really have a refresh. Certainly if I end up going to Spa again I'll give the engine fresh pistons / rings and bearings, and give the gearbox the once over (bearings and synchros) along with a fresh clutch plate.
Next race is Snetterton on 26th May and our first 45 minute race with the Roadsports boys. Looking forward to it. Anyone fancy coming along?
Mknight702

Re: Brands Hatch 28th April

Post by Mknight702 »

Would love to come, typically though, we are driving to Scotland that weekend. :(

Do you have a complete calendar, or can you point me at one, so I can at least try to come along one weekend.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Race dates below. Usually have a couple of tickets free if you plan on coming.

SR&GT Calendar 2013

23rd March Donington 750MC
Postponed until 30th June

28th April Brands Hatch 2X13 Min 750MC

25th May Snetterton 1X45 750MC

14th-16th June Spa 1Hour invitation

30th June Donington Park

13th July Rockingham 2X13Min 750MC

24th August Silverstone 45min Pit stop

20th-22nd Sept Spa 1 Hour invitation

21-22nd Sept Donington 2X13 Min 750MC

12-13th Oct Cadwell Park 750MC
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

biggles

Post by biggles »

Nice photos Adam.
One thing that springs to mind is that rather nice looking new elevenesque kit in light blue has v low headlamps!
If that's IVA able, i cannot see why the eleven shape has problems...
cheers all
Biggles
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

I cant take the credit for the photos, they were taken by tim falce who races (occasionally) with us in a D-type.