Donington 30th June - not all fun!

Racing and trackday chat
erictharg

Donington 30th June - not all fun!

Post by erictharg »

This was the rescheduled race planned for March that got snowed off. It was one of our 45 minute races with Roadsports, same format as Snetterton. Good weather again - suits me. I don't mind driving in the wet, but I hate all the sitting around and getting the car ready on the wet. Decent turn out from SR&GT, with two Cobra's, GT40, Kougar, Lotus Europa, two newcomers with very hot MGBGT V8's and myself.
Practice was fine, the car really enjoying the undulating sweeping bends at Donington. My first time on the Grands Prix circuit that includes the Melbourne hairpin behind the paddock. The chicane off the back straight onto that part of the circuit was brilliant. Brake late, turn in early and almost take it as one corner with two twitches of the wheel instead of a deliberate left - right. Got into the 1:59's and was 16th place on a 22 car grid. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the race.
Had another reasonable start, but not quite as good as the last two, and got ahead of a Boxster that was just in front of me on the grid. Kept him there through the first lap until we are heading down the back straight to the aforementioned chicane. He's maybe 30 feet behind me and as I start to line of for braking into the chicane I see him go to the left as if to dive up the inside into the chicane. One of those slow motion times. I'm thinking he can't believe he's going to try and beat a 500kg sports car through there in a 1200kg road car. But he does - try, anyway. Moron. He leaves his braking too late so I have to cut the chicane to miss him, then he loses it coming out of the corner and wallops my left hand side with his rear end. No guessing who loses the most. The passenger door loses all of its rivets as the ally side gets bent way out of shape and ends up in the passenger seat space, held thankfully by the check strap. The car otherwise seems OK so I pit straight after to check it. It looks ugly but hopefully all just bodywork, and the exhaust tail pipe is loose. Cheng helps me to cut the door loose and I head out again. Car seems to be running OK and I exit the pit maybe 100 yards (and one lap) behind same said Boxster. Naturally I get the bit between my teeth to catch him. 3 or 4 laps later I'm getting close and we get yellow flags that allow me to get even closer. But just as the yellow clears they bring the safety car out to clear a dead car. Pretty much the same time the pits open and I go in to do my mandatory 1 min pit stop. I head out after the minute but the exhaust sounds odd. I guess that the manifold is maybe cracked after the impact. But after another lap its clear there's more amiss. At best a broken manifold, so I come in for good. So, my first real DNF. Had to happen sometime. Shame it was mainly because of moronic driving. Maybe a great driver can get a Boxster up the inside of an Eleven and make it stick, on the first lap. But Chris Valentine (said driver) is clearly less than that and just deluded about his or his car's abilities. Speaks volumes that several of the Roadsports drivers were called to race control for disciplinaries, and none from SR&GT. Naturally Mr. Valentine did not come over to apologise or even check I was OK. Arse.
On the bright side SR&GT cars took the first 3 overall places, with John Dickson winning in his Cobra - and it was his birthday.
Got the car home having not been in the mood to look closely at the circuit and it turns out the noise is in fact the head gasket, and not the manifold. Blowing out between 3 & 4 on the plug side. Just coincidence that it happened just after the knock?
So, head has to come off and check no other damage to the engine. Hopefully two laps has not eroded either the head or block where the leak is. Then lots of ally bashing to get the car useable for Rockingham. I doubt Westfield will be able to supply new all panels before then so it won't be pretty. The chassis rails are OK, and I guess that's part of the job of the ally side panels. Got several comments on how entertaining the car was to watch, from both drivers and spectators. Good to know it looks as good from the outside as it feels from the inside.
Will keep you posted on the repairs...
adamwilkinson

Re: Donington 30th June - not all fun!

Post by adamwilkinson »

sorry to hear that Charles, sounds like an eventful race. Bet you're glad you now trailer it to the race!!

Hope the damage isn't too serious, has Jane/Cheng said anything to the 750MC about the standards of the roadsports?
2 SR/roadsport races and SRGTC cars damaged in both, yet kits and SR's have no issues
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I guess we'll see what the feedback is after the bollockings they got from the officials yesterday.
Once I got started on the car this morning it wasn't as bad as it looked. I unpicked most of the ally panels and restored them to something like their correct shape using a variety of makeshift tools, including G clamps, vise grips, blocks of wood and soft hammers. Then managed to rivet it all back together. Looks a lot better than it did yesterday. The door even works OK. Just need to fix the missing corner of the screen now. Should be able to graft in a flat piece of perspex or acrylic to fill the gap. Also need a new SRGT sticker to cover the worst of it.
The head gasket had blown on No. 3 and initially found it's way out via one of the head studs, but then eventually blew a piece out too allow it to vent and be heard. On initial inspection it has not been running long enough like that to wear either the head or block face. It must have happened very shortly after the bump. Maybe I was trying a little too hard to catch the Boxster? Looks as if a fresh gasket should cure it OK. I'll take it over to MED tomorrow for their view and hopefully collect a new one. No doubt they will suggest I buy one of their multi layer steel gaskets - but at £90 a throw I don't think so! The ease with which the side bodywork crumples does lead me to think I should relocate the fuel tank sooner rather than later. A similar whack to yesterday's on the driver side will almost certainly damage the tank. Could be nasty...
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Here is some onboard from the boxster, shame you got tagged as I think you'd have had a good race with him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txeXtT5E9FQ
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

It was that second twitch of his rear to the right that caught me as I was re-joining the track having cut across the gravel. He must have hardly felt it! No question he was overtaking me but he ran out of braking space, by which time I was committed to turning in. As mentioned, once I came back out I was right behind him and reeling him in, when the safety car came out and then my head gasket decided to let go. I'll think carefully about a comment for his You Tube. Thanks for finding the video.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Bad luck, Charles.

Will you be sorted in time for Rockingham?

Jon
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Body beaten and pulled close to what it was. Head gasket changed this morning. Entry fee paid. Good to go. See you there?
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Yep - weather and my wheel bearing permitting. I'll touch base nearer the time to confirm arrangements.

I saw the linked clip. Check out 1.32 - you can hear the impact and his right hand comes off the wheel. Do I detect a little more mirror checking immediately after that point than before?

If it were me, I'd be over in the paddock afterwards to at least make sure you/car were OK, even if I didn't think my driving was at fault.
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

http://www.750mc.co.uk/webtv/watch,750m ... ion_24.htm
Around 40mins in is the roadsports and srgtc race.