Silverstone 3rd May

Racing and trackday chat
adamwilkinson

Silverstone 3rd May

Post by adamwilkinson »

Charles,
Are you doing the 75km race on the 3rd May?
I might be coming out to play...
erictharg

Re: Silverstone 3rd May

Post by erictharg »

Well in that case..

Yes - planning on it. ProvidedI don't get squashed by Bernie's crowd at Oulton! Beside which £175 for a 75km race is damn good value compared to Oulton. I'm only going to support SR&GT. Hope to see you there.
alleggerita

Post by alleggerita »

hi Charles,

Big chance I come and watch the race. I am in the UK again the week commencing 28 April. Might as well stick a weekend to it.

Cheapskate as I am, do you have any free income for me?
alleggerita

Post by alleggerita »

BTW, I'll bring a case of Canon if that helps
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Canon never harms! As long as only drunk after racing! I'm entered so hope to see some of you there.
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

I'll see if I can get a pass to come a watch. Might be tricky as I have 4/5th booked off for the kit car show, but I'll broach the subject carefully....
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

My entry went in last week.

There was a slim chance of 3 elevens entering but Allymally cant make it.

Hopefully it'll be a nice healthy grid - just need to finish off the car now...
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Still a chance as Ian (who built Ken's new Mazda Eleven) is hoping to run it at Silverstone. Now if Allymally makes it to an event we are 4! Look forward to seeing you there.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Anyone lost for something to do on the May bank holiday weekend you might want to come to the 750 MC race meeting on Saturday 3rd May. Two Elevens racing in the 75 KM race (Self and Adam Wilkinson), plus a host of other interesting stuff. You can even avail yourself of the SR&GT hospitality if you are there. Free tea, coffee and biscuits. You know it makes sense...
erictharg

Re: Silverstone 3rd May - race report

Post by erictharg »

Blessed again with the weather. Warm and sunny - all day. First time out with the Land Rover as tow truck, but it towed well. Major oil leak because I'd not fitted the rocker cover correctly after doing its valve clearances but otherwise fine. The racer has a new water pump with an OE spec gasket this time. Also the new little Denso alternator, and I dropped the front ride height by about 1". Rear by less as I run out of adjustment. Very good turn out with Adam's Eleven there, Bernie's brilliant C1 Corvette (900kgs...), Graham Turners 917 and lots of other very nice cars. We were by far the prettiest and most interesting grid of the day.
Practice went fine, with none of the gearshift problems I'd had at Oulton. Clearly driver error at a new circuit! Did a mid 1:14 lap that put me last but one on the grid. Fellow Oundle man Martin Hayward had brought his Ginetta G4 out to play and was just in front of me, with an Alfa GTV behind. I'd fancied a good race with Martin until I asked him how much power he had. When the first words he spoke were "Two hundred and..."I knew I was in trouble. Dunnell Zetec on throttle bodies so maybe twice what the little old A Series is making. G4 is maybe 100kg heavier. Still he was only about 1 second ahead of me in practice.
Adam had a couple of problems in practice so was also not much more than a second faster and ended up right in front of me on the grid.
There was a green flag lap before the off so once formed up after that lap the lights go on (and off) quickly. Managed to hang onto Adam's tail (which I thought was odd) but before the end of the first lap he had pulled of with a suspect coil. The fast start allowed me to jump the G4 at the start and hold him off until lap two when he fancied going up the inside coming into the complex. I didn't think he' d make it and just managed to avoid his spin by going onto the grass. A couple of laps later he got his pace back and took me on the straight (as he should!). But I kept him in sight until the end which I was pleased with, and a best lap of 1:13.97, and only finished 3 seconds behind the G4. It was Martin's first race in a while but as he usually rallies a Healey 3000 I'm not going to cut him too much slack! First time for me into the 1:13's at Silverstone. Aside from Adam we had a few other casualties. Some young lad binned his dad's Healey 3000 first lap of practice. Graham's 917 went well in practice but then refused to start for the race. Cheng broke an output shaft off the line again. Neil Plant's painstakingly rebuilt Kougar engine also went into meltdown in practice.
The Eleven continues to amaze with it's reliability. It does really need new front pads (after almost 3 seasons of racing!) and there is some driveline vibration at 6500rpm + in top. Probably propshaft not running quite in line with the diff, which as you know we can't do much about short of major re-design. I'll check and replace its U/J's anyway. I'm planning to order the LSD from Peter May this week and fit it for Snetterton (25th May). That way it will be proven for Spa.
The other good news is that I did manage to get some video footage of the race. Only the first 22 mins, but go to You Tube and follow this link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLgHn ... dyuxhEzjeg

Race starts about 6 mins in.

Good to see AllyMally there and look forward to seeing him on the track.