15" wheels

All things oily!
sgrant

Re: 15" wheels

Post by sgrant »

On that note, I keep asking them for a replacement set of perspex headlight covers. Been trying for over a year now and I keep getting told they will be in stock "in a few weeks", but nothing happens. Price? About £150 !

Techbod thinks he can get a few sets made up, so I might post my originals to him and go that route instead, and keep a few pairs in stock in case anyone else has a problem...
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Westfield's chassis constructor probably wont want to pull out the tooling for kits in 1s and 2s. I imagine that they need to make 5 at a time to make it pay at the contracted price. I think that it is a good thing that Westfield is continuing production.

In that case, the kit will probably stay in production for as long as there are orders.

As far as parts go, there is stuff available, but occasionally, separate parts have to be contracted out if there are none in inventory. Westfield has always come through with parts for me, but sometimes, there is a delay. They are not making parts in house as they have in the past.

The perspex headlight covers are expensive, but can be made by any competent plastics shop, once you have the mold (one can be taken from an intact cover0. The headlight covers are symmetric, so you only need one mold. That said, you will find that the price from a plastics fabricator is about what Westfield charges. Expensive. Of course, if you have the mold, you can make the, covers in your kitchen oven easily enough Just place the plastic over the mold and wait until the plastic drapes itself over. Then, remove, cool and trim to shape.

I believe that Manik, Westfield distributor here in the US, may have headlight covers available, made locally. It would be worth checking with managing director Tom McClintock here in the US.
11admire

Post by 11admire »

About the perspex headlamp covers Andy Wiltshire make them for the Lotus eleven so mail him and ask if he can make a set for the Westfield XI.
(If you take the trip to visit Andy please take the XI with you so he can measure up for the LH tank ;) )
http://andywiltshire.com/web%20site%20lotus%20page.htm
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

I feel a trip to Andy coming along.....I might pick up a fuel tank for the 7 at the same time.......
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

chappy996 wrote:
> Slight correction there Westfield 129 - there are 5 WXI's being made in
> 2011, 4 are now spoken for (one by me) and there is still one left if you
> want it!
>
> The batch of 5 will be ready for collection December this year.
>
> Thanks for the 15" wheel info.

Did you take delivery of your kit, Steve?

Jon
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

sgrant wrote:
> As an alternative to wires, if only there was a way to fit wobbly wheels on
> the midget PDC....
>
> http://www.lotusracer.com/index.php?section=1
>
> That's another georgeous colour scheme...
>
> stephen

I don't know if these 4 holers from Dave Bean would fit. But they are pricey!

007-G-0704
Lotus "Wobbly Web" 4-Bolt 5"x13" magnesium wheel. Front wheel for Lotus 22, 23, 27 and front and rear wheel for S7.........$375/each
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The whole idea is to run 15" wheels, and the original type Dunlop vintage race tires, not the too small, too wide 13" tires. Lotus 11s had 15" wheels, and the Westfield XI works great on them, giving the handling of an original 11.

You can run 6 bolt, 15" Wobbly Webs, if you make up new hubs, and an adapter for the rear wheels. There are a couple of XI running around with 15X4.5" and 15X5" wobblies. Expensive, as you have to make new hubs for them. I have considered going that way, but the car really looks right on the 15" wire wheels, and the tall race tires.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I did a bit if research following the link to the 15" Dunlop Death Sliders on eBay. WRT the discussion about legality in the UK, Longstone Tyres had this to say:

Racing tyres are normally designed purely for racing, and no compromises are made for road suitability.However due to popular demand and in Dunlops acknowledgement that many drivers of vintage and classic road legal race cars prefer to drive them to and from events on their racing tyres. Dunlop have carried out a complete test and development program on the Dunlop Racing Tyres resulting in "E" marking accreditation on certain vintage and classic Dunlop racing tyres. These are the 16" & above Dunlop racing R5, R1, 3-stud & 5-stud pattern Dunlop racing tyres. The L and M section Dunlop Racing tyres unfortunately are NOT road legal.

HTH

Jon