Race Report - Brands Hatch 5th June

Racing and trackday chat
erictharg

Race Report - Brands Hatch 5th June

Post by erictharg »

One to forget. One of only two SR&GT only races in the calendar so had to make an effort to race. the good news is that the RAV4 tows really well, and the trailer is perfect. Just as well as it turned out.
Went down Monday PM to catch some of the racing and drink a few beers in the name of the Jubilee. Even got some sun in the evening.
Practice Tuesday AM was OK. I decided to try the (very) second hand Dunlop Historic tyres I bought some time back. A lot of fun but maybe 4 secs slower than usual. As rain was accurately forecast the A021's went back on at 24 psi for the race. And rain it did. Lots and lots. Our race was not until almost 18:00 so we stood around a lot getting colder and wetter. We were told it would be two green flag laps but no-one told us that in light of the weather it would also be a rolling start. So we came around after the second green flag lap expecting to be lined up for our usual standing start only to eventually assume it was all systems go...
The car handled OK considering the atrocious conditions, but just as I was gaining in confidence it started misfiring more and more. After 20 mins it was impossible to keep going so I called it a day and had my first DNF in two seasons. Good job I had the trailer! Engine would not even start to load up.
As expected this evening the distributor cap had lots of water in it. All cleaned and dried and running OK again. Back to the jobs list for Spa, starting with a good clean and making the bead seat. Then finishing off the ally bulkhead so it does not hose the driver with water in the rain!