Tyre choices (sorry)

All things oily!
Si Richards

Tyre choices (sorry)

Post by Si Richards »

Apologies as I guess this has been done a million times but what would you guys recommend as a sensible fast road tyre dry use only (hopefully!!!) I don't plan on doing lots of track days just nice sunny country lanes.

I have 13" x 5 alloys around 80 horses and just want something that will be fun to drive without trying to eject me off every roundabout I go round.

Once the tyres are sorted it's IVA booking time exciting/nerve racking times ahead.
Any ideas greatly received.

Cheers Si
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
Westfield 129

Re: Tyre choices (sorry)

Post by Westfield 129 »

On a 13X5" rim, you can run a 185/70/13, a size that is readily available and may even be offered in a proper performance tire.

These are a bit wider than the usual 165/13, but they are usually easier to find (especially here in the 'States). Tire diameter is not much different than the 165. I have been running an off brand 185/70 that is predictable, and nice to slide around on. They are inexpensive, and easy to replace.

The only down side is that they produce a bit more grip, so it helps to have more power, or you can just fling the car around more. However, the grip and predictability are quite good, and the availability is usually universal.

There are no fit problems with the bodywork.
Elva 11

Re: Tyre choices (sorry)

Post by Elva 11 »

Hi Si. Sounds like you're getting there. I had the same issue with tyres. Fitted Yokohama AO 21R 185/70 13. Got them from George Polley Motorsport @ £52 each, I think they are a control tyre for some stock car class and therefore quite cheap. They are road legal. Great grip in the dry and good in the wet - sorry, it will rain on you. Perhaps too much grip for constant sideways driving but I found standard road tyres a bit scarey on occasions. The 70 side wall gives a bit more compliance over the bumps. Run them @ 18psi. They will rub the bodywork on the front but only on full lock and I couldn't be bothered to alter the rack stops again so live with it. Had to fit 6mm spacers on the back for clearance. Best of luck with the IVA. Give me a ring for a catch up if you want. Ian