Bob's 11 and unique scratch built "HMW"

Everything else Eleven related
bobwhittaker

Bob's 11 and unique scratch built "HMW"

Post by bobwhittaker »

[attachment=1]photo.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]photo.JPG[/attachment]The " Self Build " :- ( Currently MOT'd and insured but SORNed )

1) Built 1988 -- 90 , received a " Q " because of indeterminate age , I didn't have a donor and
bought items as needed , some new some scrapyard .
2) Registered on the v5 as an " HMW " , my wife's initials . Chassis number RW.89.01.001
my initials - the year - the series - the number in the series . There hasn't been another !
3) Radiator cowl off a Marlin Berlinetta . I had built a Rover engined Berlinetta and prior to that 2.5 litre
Triumph straight six engined Marlin Roadster . The Roadster I sold to Mike Newman the current
Blind Land Speed Record Holder .
4) Engine is a1977 SD1, Gearbox 5 speed from another car , back axle 2 litre Cortina Estate with my
own rose jointed links, front cross member / suspension / steering MK IV Cortina ( Very Marlinesque )
my own twin circuit brakes with front servoed and rears unservoed , full matching set of instruements
from a Rover P5 B Coupe, Presently fitted homemade aero screens and ridgid matching aluminium half
tonneau over the passenger side ( Street Racer Mode ) also made a split and raked full windscreen
with ridgid sidescreens . have started a hard top in plywood but project is now on the back burner.
5) Chassis all my own work but again " Marlinesque " main ladder is in 80 X 80 X 3 box cockpit frame in
50 X 50 X 3 box . Many different features to Marlin and it is also 15 inches shorter onthe wheelbase.
I aimed for a track to wheelbase ratio as a Caterham .
6) Exhaust manifolds all my own work made from chassis offcuts , Schedule 80 welding bends and the
straight pipe is Cortina propshaft . all made 25 years ago and still sound . Stainlees silencer boxes
are recent by Birchills Automotive , an excellent company
7) Body is all aluminium , all my own work with the exception of the bonnet louvres , they were stamped
in using a die in a fly press , The rear ducktail section is made from 32 separate pieces riveted to a
flat bar frame and all joints covered with beading ( Never Again ! ! ! ) The spare wheel protrudes out
and acts as a rear bumper.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG
alleggerita

Re: Bob's 11 and unique scratch built "HMW"

Post by alleggerita »

I saw the HMW in the flesh. A very intimidating and mean looking car! Quite a contrast to the XI, but fun to drive nevertheless.