Race Report #2 - Silverstone

Everything else Eleven related
erictharg

Race Report #2 - Silverstone

Post by erictharg »

Great day was had. Car running much stronger now I've re-set the cam timing. It was somewhat retarded (like 10 deg!). However, also re-setting it to 2 deg advanced over Piper recommendation means it was now running lean. An hour on the SU needle comparison website found a needle that was richer over the second half - the bit used under load. Sally was my support so had to cram all the kit in a Fiat 500. Amazing what they hold..
Practice went OK and astonished to find there were three cars slower than me. The Davrian, which subsequently blew it's bottom end, and two Ginettas. So, on the grid I had the GInettas behind me. Pressure! Plus we were sharing the race with Kit Cars, so a split start. Kit cars first then us 10 sec later. So I'm waiting for the lights to come on again and he just waves a Union Jack instead. Caught out cold - not even in gear. Ginettas go past me and I'm cursing. However, I took both of them going into Copse for the first time. They're not very brave in the corners. One of them stuck on my tail for 3 or 4 laps but as I pushed it harder and harder I dropped him. No other problems, other than I think I got clutch slip at the start. Felt like wheel spin but I can't believe those sticky Yoko's would spin so easily. Need to try some practice starts to check (mindful of my fragile halfshafts). It is a stock Midget clutch after all. Running hotter than before too - up to 95 deg on the gauge, so plan to get some water wetter for Mallory. Now sliding lots on the sticky tyres. Best race lap was 3 sec better than best practice, so learning all the time.
techbod
Site Admin

Re: Race Report #2 - Silverstone

Post by techbod »

Sounds like you had a good time and well done on not qualifying last :)
(I take it all scrutineering issues are fully behind you now?)
Must make it to one of your races and see you and the westy in action...
Mknight702

Re: Race Report #2 - Silverstone

Post by Mknight702 »

Sounds like fun, when's the next outing?