Brake pipe run into tunnel

All things oily!
Redmax

Brake pipe run into tunnel

Post by Redmax »

Could someone please do me a favour and post some pics that clearly shows the run of the rear brake line from the master cylinder up into the tunnel?

My engine is still away being rebuilt and I'm worried as to where the distributor etc is going to land - I obviously don't want to drill holes for the pipe clips and then later have to move them...

I've had a look at all the online photos I can find and none of them quite show what I'm looking for.

Many thanks,

Jason
Splat

Re: Brake pipe run into tunnel

Post by Splat »

I can offer you these two old snaps of my car. I won't be able to take any new photos until later next week;
Attachments
DSCN1270.JPG
DSCN1178.JPG
Splat

Post by Splat »

I should add that the copper pipe at the top in the top photo is the oil pressure line, seen connected in the bottom photo. The four-way union with pressure switch is bolted to the front of the drivers footwell, just above and inboard of the clutch master cylinder. I'm away from home until Monday and the car's at a paintshop a few miles away anyway. I'm hoping to be working on it midweek if you need more photos. (Those snaps date to my early ownership. It's a VERY different, and much less oily/scruffy beast now!)
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Hi Jason,

Here's a link to my build page with lots of photos hopefully some of which will help:

http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_build_pictures.htm

Cheers
Si
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
Redmax

Post by Redmax »

That's perfect - thanks guys.
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

I wouldn't do what I did

I ran my brake pipe at the top of the gearbox tunnel. I thought it would be nicely out of the way. It wasn't a good plan! with the 5 speed box I have it ended up making it impossible to fit the gear lever and it also makes the tight space for the distributor even tighter! I should have run it along the bottom of the tunnel instead.
Attachments
here it is causing grief over the gearbox
here it is causing grief over the gearbox
don't run it here...
don't run it here...
Splat

Post by Splat »

Yup. See the upper photo of my post. Run it on the top of the lower chassis rail and it's both fully protected from damage and there's no need to run the line anywhere near the dizzy. I have to say that it didn't ever occur to me that it might be an obstruction until you asked the question! Nothing comes close to interfering with the line anywhere along this routing.
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi,

I second Splat's assertion. I ran my brake pipes along the top of the offside lower chassis rail and have had no issues as a result.

Simon
Redmax

Post by Redmax »

That's really good advice, thanks again - my instinct would have been to run it along the top so it's 'out of the way'...