Site Admin

NEC classic motor show

Post by techbod »

Anyone else going?
November 12th - 14th this year.
erictharg

Re: NEC classic motor show

Post by erictharg »

Hadn't thought about it, but sounds a good idea. Let's see how things look closer to the date.
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Don't think I'll be able to make it, I'm off to China sometime round then.
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

Lucky Man,

I'd rather be going to China than the NEC.....
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Really? I'd rather go to the NEC (I hear the food's better). Unfortunately this is a work trip, out Weds back on Sat, better than my boss who had to fly out and back over 2 days just to sign some paperwork but still, it's a hell of a way to go for a couple of days with no chance to sightsee.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I'd be interested to hear how you find China. We're doing a lot out there (as you probably know) and I suspect it's not long before I have to visit. Off to the US for two weeks Saturday - I know how it is there.
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

no chance to sightsee.
That would make it less interesting I admit.
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

I think I'm going to aim for Saturday - if anyone else might be there on the same day and wants to meet up, let me know.
I'll be the one clutching a set of silicon radiator pipes and wishing I'd had them posted instead...
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

erictharg wrote:I'd be interested to hear how you find China. We're doing a lot out there (as you probably know) and I suspect it's not long before I have to visit. Off to the US for two weeks Saturday - I know how it is there.
Well China was interesting. The flight out was a nightmare as for some reason I just couldn't sleep, so woke up at 06:40 Tuesday got into bed at 23:00 Wednesday and managed to sleep for about 3 hours. :shock: Spent the next couple of days zapping round the city meeting suppliers, lawyers, accountants and the bank. The food was great, well I liked it, my colleagues were less impressed. The factory I went round was completely different to how I imagined, very tidy, clean and well run. People I met were very friendly, some of the other locals were slightly less so, so some of the meals were a bit of a spectator sport.

China itself was slightly odd, we went into a large new shopping arcade for lunch one day, loads of really posh designer shops but completely devoid of customers. The buildings themselves look good at a distance but up close they start to look slightly shabby. Air quality was dire, very much a case of smog city.

Oh, don't ever hire a car. The standard of driving was diabolical, mopeds (and cars) going the wrong way down the roads, (and at night headlights were an option), cars changing lane without indication, roundabouts were a joke I mean why should you stop? Pedestrian crossings were used by everyone, people, bikes, mopeds and completely ignored by car and lorry drivers. Riding in a taxi driven by a local was terrifying enough, driving yourself would be a great way to induce heart failure.