What news about the forum administration?

Everything else Eleven related
biggles

What news about the forum administration?

Post by biggles »

Hi everyone
Further to Techbod's desired withdrawal from the forum, is there any news that can be shared about the continued hosting of the forum? Or indeed, any news on whether it is still likely to be run as an active forum, or just an online archive?

There's a danger I might be actively building next winter, and I would hate to lose access to this resource, and the collective brain power of the W11 massive too!

Cheers all Tim
Morris

Re: What news about the forum administration?

Post by Morris »

I was recently recently wondering about this forum and if there was further news re its hosting?
Splat

Post by Splat »

I believe that Jon (Clance) may have something in hand…………🤔
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Everyone,

Yes, there is a plan. It’s been in action for quite a while, but is moving forward at a slower pace than anticipated due to:

Me getting my head around forum software.

Time.

The delay is all down to me, please accept my apologies.

However, the forum has some new server space already arranged and running, we are working on transferring the domains, I am trying to read a 300+ page manual. :D

Please rest assured that this incredibly valuable resource will not be disappearing. It was set up to arrange a LMC trip, and, years later, we are again returning.

It has been quiet here recently, so what we need from us members is content.

I have recently changed my rack, taken many notes, and will post a thread on the conversion with full details.

Splat has more than a few subjects on which to update us.

Biggles has an interesting XI and project in hand.

We have a few outings and visits to arrange.

Plus some hill climb days over the recent years etc.

Cheers

Jon

So, in a nutshell, the project is alive and ongoing.

Cheers
biggles

Post by biggles »

No apology necessary Jonners!

I’m doing my best to steer a few more XI builders this way - thanks to help from Morris amongst others I have made contact with a couple of new builders and they are aware of the site. I obviously want to avoid unnecessary duplication/conflict with the (excellent) WSCC, but it is clear that this site has a bit extra for the W11 builder…

Can new joiners get in? ie, are any signups happening?

I’ll do my best on the content front ,and am up for a meet soon. Am going to the Aug 14 historic specials day at Cotswold Wildlife Park btw.

Cheers all, Tim

(Off to Nashville over the weekend, anyone interested in some pics from the Lane Auto museum?)
Last edited by biggles on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Tim,

1. Historic Specials??? Up the road??? If i’m not working, I’ll see you there!

2. Please do send ALL the XI builders, and enthusiasts, here. They can still sign up for forum membership, and we will always welcome new faces, new ideas, and new cars (built or acquired).

The WSCC forum is great. I was a member for a while when I had a Seven(ish) AND an XI. I might even find a photo of the pair outside my old garage. Now, that was a privilege to have the two of them side by side.

Please do add some content. It gets the fires stoked - gets us in the garage!

I was mentioning your XI in conversation recently. I think we need some more pics, n’est-ce pas? (How very LMC-prepped I am!). :D

Cheers

Jon
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Morning All,

Hope you had a relaxing festive season. Happy New Year to you all. May this year see tons of XI fun.

Just a little update on the forum for you.

After an incredible amount of patient work, we have a running clone of the forum on another server. Do not underestimate how hard this has been for Techbod. Probably easier to teach a dog to knit.

But we have it up and running, and the hand-over list will be re-visited. The forum needs pruning of the old, more private, content, the domain needs to be transferred, and the current new server space is actually going to move. Probably to IONOS. I have my other domains there, so will call them to find out what we need. The short answer is 2-3Gb of space, back ups and security. They run Plesk, which is the management tool for forum-wrangling I have been using with the current space. Seems to work well.

You should not notice any change in the service here, bar a couple of days downtime as everything is transferred and the DNS is directed to the new home.

CHeers

Jon
Splat

Post by Splat »

That’s good news Jon (even if I only understood half of it :lol: )
pearman00

Post by pearman00 »

I would like to thank you for all your hard work.

Tony
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Thanks Guys.

When it rains, it pours.

Hopefully have some progress to report in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Jon