Accident damage

Everything else Eleven related
jonclancy

Re: Accident damage

Post by jonclancy »

Morning All,

Tony used the Dzus slide catches on the rear clamshell sides and an over-centre catch in the middle. He suffered clamshell paint damage caused by a gust while stationary. The front clamshell is not currently attached, though there is signs of "work in progress" on the hidden fasteners. I have had a glimpse of what Tony was aiming for. It looks like he was going to employ slide catches at the front and rear of each side of the clamshell, and use a solid push/pull-rod from behind the cabin quadrant trim panels to lock/unlock these catches. It's an interesting option, and would indeed create a method of securing the clamshells with no visible external fasteners.

FWIW, I'll be taking the car to Loaded Gunn to get Gary's opinion on how best to approach the fixing of the front clamshell. Terry Springs, Aerocatches and Camlocs have already been discussed via email with various parties (thanks for your thoughts, guys), but I have yet to make a decision. I may even continue Tony's work and complete the "catchless" method.

The extending-pole method that Tony employed is excellent. It provides a rigid bonnet stay that can easily be adjusted for length and is also tidily stowed. It weighs less than a good meal.

ATB

Jon
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Yeah, that does sound good. I will check in with Option One today to see how the bonnet stay plans are progressing, but I think they are planning a similar solution, although not telescopic. Because it will be secured at both ends, I shouldn't need a strap to catch the bonnet if it's knocked forwards.

stephen
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Exactly six months since it was sent to Westfield; Supposedly they start fitting the headlights and front loom this week. Guys, seriously, don't have someone crash into your eleven, you'll never see it again :(
biggles

Post by biggles »

not much compensation for missing March but at least you're not really missing much over the last six weeks or so. My toy car hasn't been out for over a month - every time I might be on for a blat it's chucking it down!
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Well.....took six and a bit months, but in the end I went up to Westfield on Friday and got it back. Really pleased with it; Westfield seem to have done a lovely job on the rebuild and the paintwork from Option One is stunning - couldn't be happier.....

Glad to finally get it back...

stephen
Attachments
IMAG0294.jpg
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

One out, one in! Stephen, she looks absolutely gorgeous!! I bet you're so chuffed to have her home.

No 42 today went into the care of Loaded Gunn Racing to have Gary work his magic. I'm going to start another thread about rollover protection - I should be in the road mid-month. Hopefully...
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Thanks Jon, yeah, I'm really pleased. I keep opening the garage, just to check :D

I spent a lotta lotta time chewing over rollover protection, and I'm pretty happy with the end result, so I'll be contributing to that particular thread....

stephen
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I have to ask - what method did you use to trim your perspex headlamp covers, Stephen? Mine look like they overlap the aperture in a couple of places and are not quite flush. I was going to mark them with permanent pen and then use that as a guide to file or gently grind and then edge polish on my buffer. Flush is waht we are aiming for. Also, does anyone know what would happen if you heated the perspex gently using hot water or a heat gun? Would it soften enough to just fit the aperture with some gentle presssure?
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Hi Jon,

A moot point. One of the delays with getting my car back was that the pair of covers that Westfield ordered, didn't fit. Then they said they did have a pair that fitted, but when I turned up, I could fit a finger between the cover and the bottom of the headlight scoop on one side, and the cover had split around one bolt where it had been overtightened. Thankfully they had more in stock and I went to have a cuppa whilst he measured up and trimmed a replacement, which fits fine. Unfortunately, I didn't see how he did it.....They aren't an absolutely perfect fit, but they are close enough and, importantly, they are tight to the bodywork at the bottom, where the rain comes in.

stephen