Donington 2nd July

Racing and trackday chat
erictharg

Donington 2nd July

Post by erictharg »

I'd not driven Donington before (except on the PC) and was looking forward to it. A nice up and down swoopy circuit. Had perfect weather. Sal was my support crew this time. Car needed nothing other than the rear brakes adjusting after Spa.
Tried a little more pressure in the tyres for practice after they looked so chewed up at Spa. Felt a little too much, sliding a bit more than ideal. Also feel as if the engine is going flat at 6500. Although peak power is 6600 it used to pull through to 7000 no problems, but today it almost felt like valve bounce starting at 6500. Otherwise it all ran well enough. Next to last on the grid, with a 1:29, but didn't really get a clear lap. Had the usual MK Indy behind me (150 bhp but just does not go around corners like the Eleven). Dropped the tyre pressures 1 psi for the race.
Got a good start but makes no difference when you have to slow for the traffic jam into the first corner. Managed to hang onto the group in front for a few laps, maybe 150 mt behind them, but couldn't close. the MK got close on the straights but after a few corners he's dropped. Then the brake pedal started to go long again, as it did at Spa. But this was only halfway though a 13 minute race. Had a couple of moments when I missed my braking point due to having to pump the pedal, so eased up for the rest of the race.
Finished with no incidents, and won 1st in class D again. Another trophy! Embarassing. Got into the 1:28's.
Need to check the engine for maybe a broken valve spring. Alternatively could be something to do with the heat so might try a cooler air ducting set up. And going to ditch the so called uprated rear shoes that wear so fast they ruin your braking after 10 minutes. The stock shoes worked fine before, so they go back in. £50 wasted. Might talk to Peter May and see if it's normal - maybe they're faulty..
Good to see Marcus there - think he may have got a few pictures.
Nice circuit - we're back there for the last race of the season so I look forward to that.
sgrant

Re: Donington 2nd July

Post by sgrant »

Shame about the braking problems Charles. Sounds like you think the problem is at the rear? (rather that than at the front!).

Is it worth looking at a rear disc conversion? Are you allowed such things in class?

What was it like down the Cramer Curves - did it all go very light at the back? - and was my top tip for the right hander at the top of the hill of any use?

stephen
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Spoke to P May about the rear shoes (it is them wearing that's the problem - they need serious adjustment after anything serious). They confirm that's not normal so I'll put my stock shoes back on and return the new ones to them to check. I just don't want or need the complication or expense of rear discs. They don't do enough to justify it!
MED reckon that given the hours I've raced this year and run on the road that it may be the valve springs that are tiring, so I'll try a fresh set. Give a good excuse to pull the head and check all is well otherwise.
Cramer is great but still not worked out the best way around. I keep turing to the left hander too soon (it's blind) and taking loads of kerb and then skating across the track to the far right before trying to get back over to the left before the old hairpin. Bloody brilliant serious of corners. Using less and less brake into the old hairpin and just turning in early and 4 wheel drifting over it. Terrible on the tyres but so much fun.
The good news is that the last meeting of the season is a double header at Donington in October, so plenty of opportunity to improve! Not sure how much more life the ACB9's have. I've not run out of tread yet anywhere, but getting close. May have to scrounge some more used ones.
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Sounds like you had fun Charles.
Hopefully i'll be along for the final race this year, i need to get out in the 11 this year!!

Ive not driven Donny before so i'm looking forward to it.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Was my first time there this time too. A lot of fun though. Hope to see you there.