Birkett 6 hour relay race report 29 Oct

Racing and trackday chat
erictharg

Birkett 6 hour relay race report 29 Oct

Post by erictharg »

Took part in the 750 MC Birkett 6 hour relay race yesterday at Silverstone as part pof the SR&GT "Grunties" team. Rest of the team was two RAM D Type replica's, an E Tpye challenger, Kougar and a Ginetta.
As Silvertsone is only an hour way I drive there first thing. Scrutineering was from 0700 so early start and there for just after 0700. Rest of the team had arrive Friday. No problem with scrutineering and onto practice. The Birkett is now run on the full GP circuit, and I've only ever driven the National loop at Silverstone. So, initially very cautious to learn the 2/3rds I'd never driven before. Managed one spin (no damage) coming into the new pit staright for the first time at any kind of speed. You have to go pretty deep onto the entry before lining up to get onto the straight. Also running on new A021's for the first time so feeling them out.
Team manager decided we'd plan to run 30 min sessions, thus giving each of us two stints over the 6 hours. However, the Ginetta had gearbox problems in practice so we were not sure if he would run for the race. They located a spare g/box and set about changing it. Not the first time they have had problems with a Quaife Type 9 box it seems...
Usual tactics for the Birkkett are that as soon as one car goes out the next driver needs to sitting ready in his car in case the car out there has an problem and comes in unexpectedly. I was No.2 in running order so at the start I was in the pit garage and ready to go.
64 teams means 64 cars on the grid, and unfortunatly someone near the front stalled and in the chaos several cars behind didn't see it and piled into the stationary car. Red flagged and at least 5 cars are out with serious damage. As the song goes, "It could have been me..."
Re start goes OK and after about 30mins I'm off. First session went well. consistent times gradually improving as I learn the circuit and get a feel for the tyres. Best lap was 2:48. Back in for some lunch, top off the fuel and ready to go again. Ginetta still being work on so we're told second session could be 35 - 40 mins. We're asked if we mind driving in the rain - I say not as I've my new A021's to rely on, and my car has to be easier than a 300HP D Type in the wet. Hasn't it?
Second session comes up and sure enough it's raining. First time into Becketts on the out lap and I lose it and spin twice, ending up on the grass. Yikes. Head off again and it's very greasy. Notice other drivers staying off the usual line and remember that advice to stay off the racing lin ein the wet and find more grip and less twitchy. Very snappy though when it does let go. Lot's of cars off all over the place. Rain stops, track dries and I build up speed again. Just about up to full speed and time to come in again. Somewhat relieved - driving in the wet is stressful! I should maybe have put a couple of extra pounds in the tyres, but by the time the rain started I was almost ready to go out.
The Ginetta eventually is ready and goes out for a short spell but still not right.
The D Types both put in good fast sessions with no problems, one clocking 2:29 laps.
At the end we were 24th out of 63 teams including handicap, which sounds pretty good to me for a ramshackle bunch of old guys in replicas with running gear from the 60's and 70's. Felt like real racing with having a pit garage, catering, pit board you had to read etc.
As usual I already think I can find at least another 4 or 5 secs next time on that circuit....
Car never missed a beat. Nice drive home in the dark. Parked up ready for a well deserved refresh over winter. Looking forward to the 2012 season.
I'm going to do some research on spring rates and suspension set ups, especially on the Locosts. They are similar weight and power but way faster and the way they throw them into the corners defies belief. Something to be learned from, I think.
sgrant

Re: Birkett 6 hour relay race report 29 Oct

Post by sgrant »

Good effort Charles - sheesh that sounds full-on....

stephen
Mknight702

Re: Birkett 6 hour relay race report 29 Oct

Post by Mknight702 »

Damn it, I've managed to miss watching for a whole season. We were travelling back from Yorkshire on Saturday is my excuse this week.

Sounds like you had fun as ever.