Spa 2012

Racing and trackday chat
adamwilkinson

Spa 2012

Post by adamwilkinson »

Charles

What day are you leaving to come back to the UK after the race?
I've just been reading one of the log-books for another race and it says you must vacate the track by 10pm - i was planning on staying another night and leaving monday morning...
Mknight702

Re: Spa 2012

Post by Mknight702 »

Best of luck to both Adam and Charles for the race at Spa this weekend!
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

I'll let Charles do a full write-up for Spa as he had a more successful time then i did.

Having had an issue with the rocker shaft in quali it appears our quick fix for the race only prolonged my eventual retirement from the race.

I managed to complete 5 laps in practice (approx 20miles) before oil pressure/oil surge issues arose. Having never had oil surge problems before I knew the engine was losing oil. Back in the pits i had a good look under the bonnet expecting to see oil everywhere but no trace. Looked in the 2lr catch tank and found that it was approx 2/3's full!! Game over for quali.

Trundle back to the paddock, all down hill so could switch the engine off and coast back to my spot, and immediately set about hunting down the issue. Much head scratching and phone calls (not looking forward to my phone bill) later and we decide that the only thing different between this year and last time the car was run is an additional baffle in the sump which "could" be causing problems.
Before taking the sump off i decide to remove the rocker cover as it appears that the oil is coming from the rocker cover breather. Start the engine to see where oil is coming from and immediately have to turn it off after oil squirts out at 60psi all over the steering rack, water pump, radiator etc. It becomes apparent that the front bung on the rocker shaft is missing and once the engine is running the oil pump is happily filling up the rocker cover which in turn is dumping it down the breather tube as it cant drain fast enough.
With the problem isolated it was then time to work out how to fix it in time for the race. A cut down bolt with a hole drilled through it for the split pin was the final solution. it worked reasonably well, didnt stop the leak but reduced it to a dribble which the drain holes could cope with - or so i thought...

Everything back together, fresh oil in the sump, catch tank emptied into an old water bottle and now ready for the race.
Lined up alongside Charles on the grid and after saying i wasnt going to arse up the rolling start i still managed to bog down out of the bus stop which gave Charles my position. Out of the first corner i hooked up nicely and repassed Charles before heading through Eau Rouge and up Kemmel Straight passing another couple of cars. The rest of the lap was fantastic overtaking a total of 10 cars on the first lap (i think there were 54 on the starting grid, not really sure what positions we started in). Laps 2-6 saw me pass a few more cars and then get into a scrap with 2 porsche 911s and an aston martin (all 3 of which last time out i got the better of). I passed both 911s but got retaken on the straights and then the misfire started. Contiuing but losing ground to the porsches i managed to pass the aston but on lap 7 the misfire got worse, not olny halfway down the straight but also out of corners. I decided to call it a day as i didnt want to wreck the engine and pulled into the pits and into retirement. My best lap for the race was only a 3.07 some 4 seconds slower than last time out.

On closer inspection it was apparent that the issue in quali had caused my retirement from the race, the misfire looks like it was the oil from the head flowing down the valve guides and fouling up the plugs.

So all in all a disappointing weekend with repect to not completing either track session but an absolutely fantastic 7laps of racing
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I was watching the BBC weather forecast for Liege all week before we left for Spa. It consistently showed Sunday (practice & race day) fine and dry. And it was. Arrived Thursday evening late'ish, pitched the gazebo / nomads tent and had a few well earned beers after the trouble free run down. As we drank them the rain started. And pretty much continued until sometime Saturday night. So, much of Friday and Saturday was spent drinking a few more beers and watching others race in pretty dreadful conditions. Cheng and Adam (the other SR&GT entries) were just around the corner and we had a group BBQ Saturday night using one of my trailer ramps to support the disposable grills. Useful things trailers, I'm finding.
Sunday dawned dry with some sun, everyone feeling upbeat for it. Practice was for 40 mins starting at 0900. I had brimmed my tank to see how much I would have left after the sesssion to determine if it was realistic to go the 90 mins race with only one fuel stop. However my plans were thwarted as a couple of laps in saw a misfire appear at higher revs. Anything over 5000 and it set in. I pulled in to check for anything obvious. Definitely felt like LT ignition related, with a sharp cut in / out. By the time I'd checked for any possible culprits I only got one more lap before practice ended to confirm I'd not fixed it.
We went over everything. Every wire and connection. Cleaned the Optronic eye, tightened the pins in the 3 way connector to the ignition module. Fresh distributor cap and leads. Then whilst cleaning the rotor arm I saw the brass strip on top was cracked where riveted to the rotor body. Bingo! That had to be it. Adam carried a spare, so it was quickly fitted and roadtested (joys of a road legal race car). Bugger - misfire still there. That only left the solid state ignition module.
I know I had somewhere in my spares the old points taken out of the distributor when I first fitted the electronic ignition. I dug them out but had no condenser. Brilliant move...
However I found an FIA legal MGB that was running points and he sold me his spare Swiftune external condenser, reminding me I didn't have to fit it into the distributor. Just between the -ve coil terminal and earth. Fitted the condenser, rigged up a new wire from the points and set the gap as best you can in an Eleven. At least it fired up - we were both a bit surprised! Another roadtest confirmed it was fixed. Misfire gone but the points were playing hell with the tacho, which was bouncing between 5000 & 8000 once any kind of revs were applied. So I could rev the engine but I didnt know how fast. I'd driven the car enough to shift by feel so we were good to go. Phew. Adam meanwhile had fixed his problem so we were all feeling a bit pleased with ourselves.
Race was 15:35 start, and we were both two or three rows from the back. Rolling start and off. The first few laps were great as I caught up cars I should have outqualified. An Alfa saloon lap one, a 911 on lap two (maybe not in the best of health...) and then a great battle for a couple of laps with an Alfa Montreal (remember those?) before I eventually got past him at Rivage. Then one of the slower Mustangs. This was fun!
Then about 20 mins in I started to get a high speed misfire back again - but different this time. Presumably points bounce or wear. Because the tacho was playing up I couldn't be sure of where it hit (calculating back form the speed it was no much over 5300 rpm) , but I was down to 95mph ísh at the end of Kemmel ( the long uphill pull after Eau Rouge) where I'd normally be pulling over 105. And so it continued for the rest of the race. I ended up short shifting but couldn't avoid it on the longer straights where it topped out at that same 95 mph again. At least it meant I could run to almost 50 mins before coming in for fuel. Only one stop needed then!
As the second half passed there were more and more casualties but the Eleven kept limping on. Running around 3.22 laps vs the 3:15 I managed last year. About 10 mins before the end one of the Mustangs overcooked it coming out of Rivage and hit the wall hard enough not to be towable. Out came the safety car, and we finished under the safety car.
I was pleased to finish, and for the good weather. The new seat is great - no hanging off the wheel and bracing yourself against the tunnel. The tyres were getting greasy towards the end but still predictable thanks to the improved rear dampers and springs. Only one oooerrr moment when I caught a patch of spilled something in Pouhon, but managed to catch it - just.
Ended up 29th out of 53 finishers.
One celebratory beer followed, then packed up and went to a meal with Chengs team, and the luxury of a hotel for the last night.
Problem free journey home yesterday. Liking this trailering lark.
Checked the car over tonight and all seems well. Valve clearances all still to spec. Used maybe half a pint of oil (bores still good then), and no water. Ordered a new Aldon Red race distributor fitted with Aldon ignition from MED. Realised looking at it that I might have to pull the engine forward to remove the old one and fit the new one. Should still be OK for Donington Sunday though!
So, a good weekend but I'll have to go back again as I know I can do better, and it would be good to see where I can end up with a 100% fit car. Thanks to the SR&GT crew for their support and company, and to Austen who came along with me for the weekend and did my refuelling. Also to John & Jenny who turned up unexpectedly to give support (and well chosen criticism!).
If anyone wants an Aldon Yellow distributor I'll have one for sale soon. I'll also be buying an fresh set of race points to keep in the spares box with the condenser in case of emergency.
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

I can recomend Megajolt for a whole new level of ignition problems!

That said once I got mine up and running I've had no issues, plus I don't get any points wear, cracked caps etc etc. Plus access to a dizzy cap is no longer an issue.

Sounds like you had fun both of you (alright maybe one more than the other!) I was tempted to drop everything and come over for the weekend, Kate put the stoppers on that though. Perhaps next year I'll plan early enough.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Perhaps next year you'll be there racing with us! Adam tells me the supercharger is back on the agaenda...
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANGeXxGECP8&feature=plcp

Video from the first 7 laps of the race.