I hate Aldon

All things oily!
erictharg

I hate Aldon

Post by erictharg »

Ordered my new Aldon race spec distributor complete with their Ignitor ignition unit. Arrived today. Hoping to get it fitted tonight and tested in time to confirm my entry for Donington on Sunday. But they had omitted to machine the locating diameter where it fits in the block (still as cast) so it is impossible to fit. I even tried fitting the Ignitor into my old distributor but too many differences. Morons.
So no Donington for me.
Westfield 129

Re: I hate Aldon

Post by Westfield 129 »

That's a shame. The ignitors come from a local company here, Pertronix. They are excellent, but you need to have the Pertronix unit specifically to match the distributor that you have.

Perhaps Aldon sent you the wrong distributor? I can't believe that they sent one not machined. Are you sure that it is not just a problem with the O ring, and perhaps some high vacuum silicone grease might make it fit?
erictharg

Re: I hate Aldon

Post by erictharg »

It was the complete race spec distributor (100AR) assembly with the Ignitor fitted, and I'm positive it had not been machined. The scalloped portion of the housing that fits into the block was as cast, and around 040" oversize.
I measured it all to be absolutely certain. Another one on its way from MED (checked this time) and I sent the faulty one back to them this morning.
Also bought some fresh Lucas points to fit into my old 100AY distributor as a future back up. Felt noticeably stronger spring- wise than the ones I had in at Spa, suggesting that the problem during the race at Spa was points bounce (which would have been my guess).
I did notice the Ignitor looked identical to the Pertonix!
Also sent the old Lumention Optronic back for test, to confirm that was root cause of the initial problem. It sounded like a problem they recognise with the optical eye that sits in the distributor. There is some circuitry in the assembly that can fail when it gets hot. The aluminium module itself is extremely reliable so unlikely to be the cause, according to them. If the eye proves to be faulty thaty will offer a discount on a replacement (4 years old is beyond any warranty!). Probably worth having as a second back up option.