Ignition Woes

All things oily!
jonclancy

Oh Yesss!

Post by jonclancy »

Well, it stopped raining here for a bit late this afternoon. I wheeled the XI out and wound the dizzy round to approximately the right position. Thought I'd check for a spark, so pulled out plug #1 and with insulated pliers, grounded it and cranked the engine.

It started.

On 3.

No problem. 8-)

I quickly switched off, replaced the plug and restarted. I swung the dizzy till the revs picked up and warmed it up. All looking good. All tools away and off I went to the next village and back. Well, what can I say? It pulled nicely, with no pinking/knocking and no running on on shut down. Next job will be to Tippex the timing marks and get my (simple) strobe light out. When I have time, I'll pop it back up the road and on the rollers at Circuit. I suspect there's more than 55 BHP in there, and it won't be too hard to flush those horses out.

Handling was just lovely. Still want to get more steering lock (I have around 1/2 inch of space on each lock to use), but the ride was pretty supple and the steering was, well, sublime.

Overall, a great, great moment or 3. You can keep your Higgs particle - this was the best news I had today!! :D

Seriously, thanks for all your help, everyone!

Jon
jonclancy

Re: Ignition Woes

Post by jonclancy »

Ignition timing set on the dyno this afternoon.

We made 63bhp. 8-)
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

The only way is up!
jonclancy

Ignition sorted!

Post by jonclancy »

erictharg wrote:
> The only way is up!

Indeed!!!
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

I started at 55bhp on the dyno at Minispeed :mrgreen:

Thankfully I've gathered up a few more horses since then....