would it fit?

All things oily!
jonclancy

Re: would it fit?

Post by jonclancy »

Has anybody looked into the height of an A Series with a BMW K1100 head on it?
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

We looked into all sorts of engine combinations, including a nice Hayabusa based engine that bolts up to a T9. The problem was cost. Do you really want to put a £17000 engine into the W11? It turns out that the cost of modifying a BMC A block with a DOHC head actually costs more than an FWB with Webers.

There are always Mazda rotaries.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

It's £6K turnkey here:

http://www.twinkam.co.uk/shop/category_ ... =cid%3D%26

Morspeed are around the same.

http://www.morspeed.co.uk/twincam%20index.htm

I suppose a MED XT is in similar territory, if a bit cheaper.
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

It will fit with a little modification. Turn the blower on its side, then reroute the carb not quite sure where to yet but I'm working on it, albeit slowly! Having the blower on top of the manifold puts the end where the bonnet sits unless you angle the manifold slightly. I may have to move the expansion tank and put the carb over the exhaust side rather than on a longer route round the cooler plug side. Always fun!
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

very interested to see how that pans out Matthew...

stephen
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

ps; something bad has happened to the morspeed website since you posted that Jon......
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Their site has been suspended. Let's hope it was just a case of forgetting to renew the Domain!
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Morspeed website has been down for a while now. He did my machining work for me, nowhere near quick turnaround. I went twice to collect my bits having phoned to check they were ready, twice they weren't actually ready when I arrived. He ended up shipping the rest of the bits including the block FOC on a pallet.

Then a while later I had compression losses and when I measured the block it appeared that the block had been bored and honed oversize, unfortunately this was too late to go back to him about so I ended up having to re-rebore the block, plus buy and fit another set of new pistons.

Oh and having looked at the relative heights, the K head won't fit under the bonnet.
jonclancy

Morspeed

Post by jonclancy »

It does seem he is reputed to have a slow turn around time.

At least there are plenty of other A-Series experts out there. Thanks for the info about the K Head. It looked quite tall in pictures.

Having been out for a couple of blats recently, I'm enjoying my 65bhp. This car would positively fly with 100+!!! :D
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Suggest you don't give any money to Morspeed. He's just not reliable - may be a nice guy but not organised. Evryting is last minute if you get it at all. I had to wait around two hours when collecting my first head from him. And then it was only so-so. Stay with one of the reputable companies.