MKB 752 E Update

All things oily!
bobwhittaker

MKB 752 E Update

Post by bobwhittaker »

Aproximately 400 miles on it since 10th December,so far it as never missed a beat . Sometimes reluctant to crank over when cold , I put this down to a tired starter motor and the compression ratio the engine is running on. (Not sure what it is,definitely higher than standard ) New battery and all cables / earths sound.Have considered "high torque" starter but other things first . Started with a 3.9 diff, have this week sourced and fitted a 3.7 (Talk about "Hen's Teeth").Waiting for the roads to clear before I try it out.It should pull it OK,I guesstimate the engine to be giving 75-80 bhp and I have had the car on a weighbridge and it was bang on 500 kg (190 kg less than a Midget) From measured Wheel and tire circumference and known gearing I am expecting 17.45 mph / 1000 rpm in 4th (Midget box) Will confirm with a run against a GPS and ignore any speedo figures .
I have to add extra journey time when I go out in it, particularly if I'm stopping any where , people want to discuss it and I've never had as many strangers come and chat .Intentions are to run it untill mid March then strip to paint and final build (Note kit was 26 years old when I bought it unbuilt and it looked like it had been rubbed down with a "ScotchBrite" pad. Cheers Bob Whittaker
beng4

Re: MKB 752 E Update

Post by beng4 »

Bob great to hear that you are up and running and managing to put the miles on the car, mine hasnt been out since iva/registration. Talking about the small issue of a couple of government agency checks..... Dare I ask?
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Test run 29th Jan with 3.7 Diff in place , it has lifted the ratios (Midget Box) to just where I want them , ample strength/torque from the
engine with no apparent loss of acceleration through the gears . Didn't confirm mph/1000 , the rains came down before I got chance. The
Diff was an unknown quantity before I fitted it (Ex 1966 ish Riley 1.5) and I was relieved to find noise levels etc. were acceptable.
Bob Whittaker
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Nice job. Think the 3.7 was also used in the later 1500 Midgets, but could be wrong. I found sourcing a genuine Lucas B90 recon starter instead of a no name item cured my sluggish starting. Basically a new starter instead of just some new brushes and a coat of paint!
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Further update :- Car now has some 1500 miles on it , never missed a beat other than still reluctant to crank when stone cold.I can get round that anyway and once warm it is a reliable starter,roll on the warmer spring weather ! ! Have today, 2cnd April ,stripped all items from body and taken the car for paint to a local unit some 200 yards up the road.Removed all panels left them on site and drove home in the unbodied chassis (It's very rural round here) I'm keeping the paint simple with the body in what I hope will be B.R.G.,the sponsons polished aluminum,silver wire wheels an no stripes .There is a "discrete" body coloured scoop on the bonnet to give clearance for the "wingnut" on top of 40DCOE below ,the manifold and carb came as "Freebies" from a skip at the local tip,one man's trash is another man's treasure ! ! The interior is being kept simple also with just the one piece seat backrest (This needed to give more room than bucket seats) , squab cushions and no carpets The seats are the items supplied with the kit in 1986 and have just the right "Patina" to go with the "no carpet" look.
The car is purely for road use and the 3.7 diff. is ideal, 4 1/2 J wheels and tyres are adequate for the power I have,the rears "let go" very predictably and the fronts give light precise steering,this I need as I'm using an 11 inch dia. steering wheel for access not just to get in and out but also for knee room when driving.Both my son at 6' -- 6 1/2" and UK size 13 feet and myself with a mature fuller figure,no details will be given,are both able to drive and enjoy the car.
Intentions are now to clean up and finalise the rolling chassis,I have been using the car during the winter,with final build when the panels are returned from paint.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Someone will be along soon to tell you that HIS son is 7' 8" and an astronaut. ;)
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Am I bothered ! !
Splat

Post by Splat »

Have you tried a modern, high-torque starter motor? They're the thick end of £200 but one spins my high-comp. engine with ease. I also use a cheap (Halfrauds) battery conditioner/trickle charger to keep the idle battery in peak condition.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Bob,

I'm glad to hear the car is racking up the miles!! It's somewhat chilly, isn't it??!! :D

I have a similarly sluggish starter (actually a recon I have just fitted is the same). I have identified a point of resistance where the battery neg lead is grounded to the chassis. I'll be looking into this in due course, but might be worth a check. I need to install a new earth point on the opposite side, as I have installed my gel battery behind the passenger seat. I'll probably set a stainless rivnut and make sure it makes good electrical contact with the chassis. As your kit was, er, mature, this might be a similar problem. Enough current for most electrical loads, but the draw of the starter encounters too much resistance. A decent meter could probably measure it!
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

We too have a high torque starter, well worth the expense as they crank even with low charge in the battery.