IVA Today !

All things oily!
Elva 11

IVA Today !

Post by Elva 11 »

Well, got it finished eventually. Went off to the Test Centre this morning with much trepidation and doubts if an 11 would ever get through.
I must say that the tester was great. Very professional and approachable, just got on with his job and it seemed that he really wanted to see a pass. All the worries about the ridiculous lights, steering lock, safe edges etc were unfounded.
Of course it failed!! I’d borrowed the high back seats from Westfield and assumed that all would be well. No. It was decided that the angle of the belts, up through the cut-outs in the seats was not to their liking as Westfield are unable to prove that the seats are strong enough to take the load in this configuration. This in spite of their use for all IVAs that the factory has completed. Sorted a fix using the kit bucket seats that will satisfy the tester so back a week Friday for another bit of looking at.
Really rather pleased that that was the only problem, apart from a bolt head fouling the handbrake clevis- sorted while I was there.
Just can’t wait to get the rubbish off it and looking like it aught to.
Splat

Re: IVA Today !

Post by Splat »

Congrats. That sounds like a good result. You'll be finished just in time for winter :D :D :D
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Thanks Splat. Of the opinion that a little late is a lot better than never.
allymally

Post by allymally »

Well done, its just a formality now then! ten mins and you will be done. All the very best. :D
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Congrats - excellent result!! :D

I'm surprised the seats failed, but at least you've got a solution. Which kit seats are "approved"?

Probably missed where you got tested, but which Test Station did you use?
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

I have no idea if any seats are 'approved'. It was all about the belts going up at about 45deg from the mounting points to pass through the seat belt aperture in the seats that Westfield lent me. The inspector claimed that the seat could collapse downward in an accident and wanted documentary proof that the seat/ belt combination had been tested. This information was not available from Westfield to his satisfaction. I feel this was a load of tosh but I didn't want to get in an argument over it. He agreed that the following would be acceptable. Standard bucket seat bolted straight to the floor with no seat cusion will make a virtually horizontal pull on the belts. Head rest cusion fitted to the hump on drivers side, fitted at correct height as the rule book. I have fabricated a suitably hideous mount with headrest on the passenger side to replicate the drivers side. Hope this will get it through. The mount will disappear about 10 minutes after the headlight pods.
Test centre is Gillingham Kent. As I said, staff there were great
beng4

Post by beng4 »

Excellent, thats great news! I told you there was nothing to worry about.... Thats the easy bit, the next part dealing with the DVLA is the completely soul destroying experience!

Ben
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Hi Ben. Any tips I should know? Have you done this already?
beng4

Post by beng4 »

No tips as such, just be prepared to interact with a load of people who dont know their arse from their elbow! You will find that you probably know more than the person you are dealing with and that you may at times have to guide them....
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Today was the day. IVA Pass in my sweaty little hand. :D :D :D
Now on with the re-build.
A year and a day since I bought the Midget, think the build manual 150 hours was a tad optimistic. Is there a way of posting photos on here?