Build diary

Everything else Eleven related
Westfield 129

Re: Build diary

Post by Westfield 129 »

I have built 4. Two RHDs, two LHDs. Two of which were complete tear downs and re assembly. One was a newly assembled RHD, the other, the US distributor's LHD press car. .

The problems were, well, numerous. The new car I rebuilt was a typical "powder coat" restoration. Old parts painted and installed. Everything needed to be rebuilt, including the parts that were supposedly "rebuilt"

By everything, I mean the rear axle, front spindles an king pins (one spindle was stripped on the new build, the wheel held in place by the brake caliper!), engine, differential, electrics. Only the transmission was OK, but it was banging against the chassis.

But the bigger problem than build quality is the car's setup. Most are simply undrivable when finished.

The biggest flaw is usually ride height. Nobody sets the car up with the driver in it, and the chassis all seem to be set at 3" in front, and less than 5" in the rear. The steering wont usually return, the king pins are too tight, the toe is always set to about 3/4" OUT. The handling? Well, the ride is punishing and the steering is really twitchy with a pull to the right (LHD or RHD. Don't know why, but it is always fixed once I finish the chassis setup). Often the wrong steering rack is installed with incorrect front steering arms. Dampers are usually turned up full stiff, and there is no useful suspension travel. Some of the cars had gone through 3 owners in less than 5 months. No wonder!

It's not that these things are occasional problems, They are problems with EVERY car that I see, except for those that I have set up.

We don't have an fascist IVA here. There is only minimal inspection of kit cars in the US, which I find refreshing. But the builders really need to understand that putting the car together means more than just assembling the parts. It has to be developed and adjusted. Most home builders are not experienced enough to do that. I help out the best that I can.
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Evening all, for those of you that are interested I have updated my Build Diary more pics etc. Almost ready to put the engine in so will soon be annoying the neighbours when I fire it up for the first time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_build_.htm

Cheers
Si
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Hey Splat - what discs (rotors) did you use with the MGB calipers? I'd like a modest brake upgrade but don't want to go modern 4 pot vented.
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

What about 4 pot with solid discs then... ;)

The weight saving is huge going from standard midget calipers to wildwood 4 pots, both 4 pot calipers weigh less than one original!
Go on Charles, you know deep down you want too
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Regards Westfield 129's comments on chassis setup , the Quickest / Cheapest / Most Effective improvement in ride and drive was after putting the dampers to full soft and backing off the suspension bolts following his comments on a previous post . The suspension does actualy go up and down now . I started at that point and now have a comfortable and predictable drive. ( Albeit the car is only used on the road )
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Si,

Just caught up with the build diary. You've made excellent progress there! 8-)

Don't forget you need to film the first start up and embed the clip on your site... :D

OT - when were were on the track-day at Hullavington, we messed around with settings. That which we settled on was impossible for the drive home, but excellent for the smooth tarmac. Full hard lasted one corner before I came in - scarey! If I'm cruising a long distance, I would consider full soft, but for normal road use it's something like 8 clicks front 4 clicks back. I included these in a post on here, but can't find it now!

ETA: Found it!

"Apart from that minor point, it was, well, pretty much perfect!! Running 7/10 clicks R/F for road, and 10/18 R/F on the track. The track setting almost had my teeth out on the drive home (and it's near to this venue). Roads are a bit bumpy 'round our way". OT
martinlcb

Post by martinlcb »

Hello Si,

Really interested to see your build diary, particularly the photos. I purchased an Eleven kit about this time last year but haven't started yet - other projects to finish first!! I have bought a '69 one owner Midget to use as a donor; it has sat in a barn for 35 years so I don't have any regrets about breaking it. In my defence, I did turn down a really early midget (sliding perspex windows) which must be restored, not broken.
I share your views on finished bodywork but haven't summoned the courage yet to attack it with wet and dry etc. Adrian at Westfield has given me advice and assured me that all will be ok in the end!!
Seems bonkers to me that for SVA I need to put on the light pds, modern steering wheel and wing mirrors but can then ditch them for the "correct" items and have no further MOT problems.......

By the way, just being lazy really but have you found out how to transfer the reg number from your midget donor to the Eleven? My own donor has a single digit number that I want to use, not a "Q" plate.

Look forward to further updates,

Martin B
beng4

Post by beng4 »

Martin, re reg nos. i went through this about a year ago. I had a nice number from my donor that i wanted to use. The only way to keep the number is to get an mot on the donor, and then put the number on retention. If as i expect, you are in the same position that i was where the donor is either in no state to pass an mot or doesnt exist any more, they will take the number and reissue you with an age related plate of the same year as the donor. Seems a bit nuts to me but that is how the dvla do things.

Ben
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Hi Martin, I'm absolutely loving the build, once you get stuck in your going to be in the same boat I'm sure. Haven't done anything with the reg yet but it should be relatively simple when it gets nearer the time, Ben is right about the plate transfer it's the only way to get it safely. I have had a bash at the bodywork already and I have to say it comes up really well with not too much work. I agree with the light pods it's typical powers that be flexing their muscles!!!!!
Engine is almost done now so will have it up and running within the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
Si
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
alleggerita

Post by alleggerita »

Si, that is a really interesting overview of the build process. Keep on taking pictures.

Charles, I thought you never used any brakes? At least that is what it says in the Registry courtesy text.