Single Cockpit Body Work

All things oily!
jonclancy

Re: Single Cockpit Body Work

Post by jonclancy »

Splat's got it nailed. EXACTLY what I had pictured in my head. :P
Last edited by jonclancy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biggles

Post by biggles »

There was an original eleven at Classics on the Common that sported fittings to convert to single seat config. I didn't get close-up photo's of it due to the crowd around it, but there was a chap there also snapping away who professed to be a self builder and knew Ben and Malcolm(Allymally). I forget his name but he was building on a repro chassis and was planning to by a body from Malcolm. Maybe he might have some detail shots if we could track him down? Or is he here already?!!
gbilawsky

Post by gbilawsky »

UPDATE: No response back yet from Westfield on my request. I will call the UK again Monday morning.

Glenn
beng4

Post by beng4 »

Hi biggles,

Yes i have been helping steven with his eleven build, ive suggested he look at this forum to tap into the wealth of information that is here, and sent him a link so he may well be on at some point.

Have a look at the pics here:

http://www.lotuseleven.co.uk/418-sre-re ... 4543332168

Simon braithwaite has carried out a lovely restoration of his old eleven. The first pic in the restoration shots show how the single piece bodywork fits over the lhs of the scuttle and the lhs top door, the metal has been let in so that this panel sits on top. This is how the bodywork is used with the single seater panels on original elevens.

Ben
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

So remove perspex on nearside door, and then drop in a tonneau?

Here's a couple of examples:
Attachments
800px-Lotus_Eleven_S1_and_Lotus_Elite_-_Flickr_-_exfordy.jpg
lotus-eleven-05.jpg
Last edited by jonclancy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

If we can take a mould (plaster of paris is adequate, I believe) from an existing single screen set up I have a supplier locally who moulds perspex and acrylic for screens etc. They do all sorts of stuff for old Lotus and other classics and racers. Maybe Adam Wilkinson would be willing to let us use his as a pattern?
stricor

Post by stricor »

now we are getting somewhere!
if the fabrication of the mould and parts is a problem, i can take care of it.
Transportation to and from hollant should be no problem.

Cor
allymally

Post by allymally »

Hi Guys, I have kept out of this so far but I think the biggest problem you face is the fact that no 2 cars are the same although they may look similar! if you made one single seat panel set for one car, then made moulds from it, what comes out of the mould may not fit another car. The panels may have enough flex to overcome most discrepancies and if you leave a fair margin for trimming it may workout ok.
It may look like a simple job but its more involved than you may think! I would not try to put anyone off from having a go of course.

Also as it may have been mentioned before! If you are racing then single seat may just have the edge over full screen but if you take passengers without a screen their side its painful.

The single seat does look the dogs doodars I have to admit. :D
biggles

Post by biggles »

Found I have actually got a shot of the car I mentioned with detail of the front single config screen mounting. How do I attach photos so they appear on the thread, I only managed a link before?
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Reply to the thread and click on the "Upload Attachment" tab you will see directly below this "post a reply" box. :)