Single Cockpit Body Work

All things oily!
allymally

Re: Single Cockpit Body Work

Post by allymally »

A few pics of an original Series one which I had to repair in the past. it is similar to the series two but has high doors for single seat mode. White and ellerton screen
[attachment=2]Johns eleven 2 003.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Johns eleven 2 004.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Johns eleven 2 006.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Johns eleven 2 006.jpg
Johns eleven 2 004.jpg
Johns eleven 2 003.jpg
biggles

Post by biggles »

more pics of a westy single config here:

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/other/ ... 8826ss.htm
beng4

Post by beng4 »

Quite a nice example that one, not a bad price.... Whats the 4th pedal for?

B.
alleggerita

Post by alleggerita »

double clutch?

What I think is that there is some kind of break split for effectively double clutching (or trottle blipping under braking): you can see 3 cylinders in the pedal box, the 2 on the left are identical and probably belong to the 2 identical brake pedals. The description doesn't give away anything.
cs3tcr

Post by cs3tcr »

I would think its a "dead pedal" or foot rest.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Twin master cylinders are connected to a common brake pedal, usually with a bias bar to vary the authority of one cylinder over the other to bias the braking front to rear.

All three master cylinders would look the same, as they are all the same design.

The only car that I have seen with two brake pedals was Chitty II, the second of the Benz Aero powered Chitty Chitty Bang Bang specials. It was said to be frightening to drive ( I interviewed the guy who drives the car for the museum that owns it now), as the driver needed 4 legs to handle both brake pedals, the clutch and the throttle. Yet, the car was driven all over the European continent and into the Sahara by Count Zborowski.
biggles

Post by biggles »

there was a bit of a kerfuffle in the F1 media a few years back as a pitlane snapper got a pic of Mclaren's extra pedal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_MP4/12

Ben, I suspect that price was from a few years back as in the description the battery was stated as 'new 2007'. I wouldn't advertise a 6 or 7 year old battery so I think the ad might date from 2008-9? Good price even then though, particularly with the exchange rates we were getting back along!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I've spoken with Gary, and Loaded Gunn are interested in taking on this project if there is a demand.

There are the two options to be considered: rigid tonneau and full scuttle. One is clearly more expensive than the other! :D

You may also wish to consider how authentic you want the conversion to be. New doors, screen per the original etc.

There are a couple things to consider about development costing, too. Is a deposit necessary? Do we aggregate/amortise development costs among the group. Is the mould "purchased" and owned by an individual/small group, who then produce the product on demand?

The bottom line is that either design option can be developed and produced, but we need to get a feel for demand (for one, other or even both) and whether the estimated cost to you is acceptable. It may be that the labour and time required may put the cost beyond where people are comfortable, or beyond the reach of mould ownership.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Jon
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Considering my own circumstances I would favour the ridgid tonneau for two main reasons .

( 1 ) The obvious one " Cost "

( 2 ) The cars will always be " Westfields " no matter how authentic one section of the bodywork might be , my only concession is a " Lotus " badge and I enjoy explaining it is not a real Lotus and go on to give the history behind the creation of Westfield Sports Cars from the XI upto today. Money no object I would find myself a real one or secondly a full single seat body in polished aluminium for the Westfield .
BOB WHITTAKER
gbilawsky

Post by gbilawsky »

I now have 90% of the information for the single cockpit configuration:

The Westfield Factory now has the molds in their possession (pictures attached)

They have established pricing for all the components to do a complete conversion as follows:
all prices in US Dollars
GRP – Doors – one pair (spray finish only) $329.00
GRP – Scuttle Panel (spray finish only) $284.60
GRP - Single Screen Fillet incl. cockpit cover $344.00
Fuel Cap/Inlet ASM unleaded w/tether $137.34
Door catch bolts left and right $48.45
Dzus fastener kit $6.55
Door Hinges $38.23

Total
$1,188.17
Shipping is additional
+ 3% if you order with credit card

Cost for Perspex windscreen (3 pieces) yet to be determined
(I would assume $500.00 -700.00 USD)

Approximate 6-8 week fabrication time.

The price for the Perspex windscreen will be established mid-December when the supplier is confirmed by the factory.

I have also found a supplier for a removable door hinge system for that can be customized to each car. This will allow a very quick conversion from dual to single cockpit configurations if a second set of doors are ordered. Link below:

http://www.guden.com/StaticHtml/news/PB ... es?ext=asp

The bottom line: The Westfileld factory will build and supply all the necessary pieces to configure a single cockpit car. Allow two months order time and I would estimate an approximate $3000.00 USD total cost for parts, windscreen, shipping and final finishing with paint to suit.

Mine is on order.
Attachments
IMGP8420.JPG
IMGP8419.JPG
IMGP8418.JPG