Single Cockpit Body Work

All things oily!
jonclancy

Re: Single Cockpit Body Work

Post by jonclancy »

I missed Glen's posting on the 20th of last month ... ;)

Looks like progress has been made and solution found for the full conversion. Well done!

With this in mind, is there still an interest in developing a rigid tonneau for existing W11?
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Being realistic regards a single cockpit configuration of any form , I would have to view and attempt entry and exit before deciding whether to go that route at all . I do have the mature fuller figure . a replacement knee , a pedicle screw stabilisation at L3/4/5 and won't see 70 again ,perhaps it's all wishful thinking ! ! ! Cheers BOB
gbilawsky

Post by gbilawsky »

Well... after 8 months of waiting, Westfield has finally crated and shipped my single cockpit cowl work, doors, windscreen and hardware. The original 6-8 week timeframe given to me was actually the time it took just to get the crate built to ship it out of the parts department. I expect to receive it in 2-4 weeks, and then will set about the task of trimming, fitting, and predetermining hardware mounting points before I send the car and bodywork in for final fairing and paint matching. I expect about another 2-3 months to complete the transformation. I'll post up pictures as we progress. Here's a picture of the evidence I was sent to prove that it really exists.
Attachments
Glenn.JPG
gbilawsky

Post by gbilawsky »

It's been a long time since I have been on the forum. I've been very busy with work and vintage racing.

I thought I would close the story on the single cockpit conversion. We actually ended up making the conversion completely reversible between the dual and single configurations. This required custom made detachable door hinges, two sets of doors, two cowl pieces, new mirrors and a phenomenal amount of labor and patience. The fiberglass and windscreen parts from the factory required a significant improvement and trimming to have an acceptable fit and finish. This project was extremely labor intensive and not recommended for the average builder/mechanic. The result was worth it...at least for me.

Attached are a few pics of the final product.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays to all.

Glenn
Attachments
IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1074.jpg
IMG_1075.jpg
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

The finished article looks absolutely stunning and a credit to your determination , it also totaly finishes what
an Eleven should look like . However just from the photographs , as much as I would like my car in that configuration ,
I can see it would not suit my physique or level of mobility .

Again , absoluely stunning ! !
Cheers , Bob Whittaker
Splat

Post by Splat »

That looks superb; a result that's well worth the effort! Conversely, I've just collected a "flat-back" clip from the factory for installation in the new year.......
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Bravo!!

Great work... and I LOVE the colour! :D
Splat

Post by Splat »

jonclancy wrote:
> Bravo!!
>
> Great work... and I LOVE the colour! :D

Can't help but think of this.......
Attachments
IMG_0611.JPG
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Wrap it. Send it!

You spoilt my Xmas surprise... :? :D
allymally

Post by allymally »

Nice Looking :D Great for winter in UK but not for summer!