Single Cockpit Body Work

All things oily!
biggles

Re: Single Cockpit Body Work

Post by biggles »

Ok here we go:
So this one has the return edge on the scuttle and presumably door too. Shouldn't be too hard to replicate this in GRP. It also has a curved bracket on the scuttletop for the single config deflector.
Attachments
DSC02244.JPG
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

A slightly different arrangement compared with the two pics I posted earlier.

Apart from the issue of passenger door and scuttle screen-holes to be plugged (you could use some nice, stainless button-head screws), you could have a solid tonneau set up (and new wraparound screen).

Option two might be to just go for a solid scuttle/pax door/tonneau one piece moulding, perhaps? Just have the driver's door as an opener and the wraparound screen is cut to incorporate the original driver's door perspex.

The first option would be radically cheaper to develop and produce. Option Two would probably need some rope glassed in for rigidity (or you could use carbon!!).

The screen would be the same for both options. This would be for a RHD, head-fairing car - naturally. Left-hookers won't be a player without a car to use for developing the mould (and almost doubling the dev costs - though some lessons could be carried over). I suppose it could be possible to use the single-cockpit mouding with a flat-backed car, but it might look a bit odd. I think the appeal of the single, faired, cockpit is that it looks like a fifties fighter!! :D
Splat

Post by Splat »

I'd go for option 2. It'd be more expensive, and require space to store, but would make swapping from one to other very simple. The single-seat looks cool, but isn't overly practical.........
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Chatting to Gary about my sump fitting etc for next week. I mentioned this thread and it seems there are two options - both entirely doable (but at a cost, of course).

1. Find an original single cockpit car and take a mould.
2. Make a buck in/on a W11 and take a mould form that.

Both will be pricey given the amount of work and cost of materials. I didn't ask for a finger in the air estimate.

Drop-in rigid tonneau might be the best solution, but, as Malc pointed out, all of our cars are subtly different. Could be a pain to fit.

I'm contemplating how you might produce the windscreen. I have thoughts about a plaster die...
biggles

Post by biggles »

off the wall suggestion - use sheet fibreglass which is bendy. gaffer tape over the scuttle edge/door/rear clam edge to get curve. glass in stiffening ribs from underneath. Once set draw around underside of edge so you know where to trim (add an inch all round for example). Basic tonneau done, then glass in return edges, make windshield fitting etc.
allymally

Post by allymally »

If only the tonneau was flat! ;)
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The real problem is the compound curves. There really is no easy way to do this. Bendy 'glass sheet wont work. The contours have to be held from the nose to the end of the tail. The doors, scuttle and likely the rear clam shell will have to be reshaped.

Find and original car, have it scanned and a mold cut.
biggles

Post by biggles »

allymally wrote:
> If only the tonneau was flat! ;)

curses, foiled again, if only it wasn't for those pesky kids etc etc :lol: :lol:
biggles

Post by biggles »

stumbled across a couple of interesting shots on this thread:

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-t ... 27062.html
gbilawsky

Post by gbilawsky »

UPDATE:

I been in communication with Westfield several times...progress has been slow, but here is where we stand:

1. They now have the single cockpit mold in their possession. It will only fit RHD cars. There never was a LHD mold made.

2. They are struggling with finding a source to fabricate the corresponding Perspex windscreen...they are still working on it.

3. I have asked them to quote a price for the following components which will allow a complete change over capability between single and dual configurations :

a. The Single cockpit conversion panel with Perspex screen and all necessary mounting hardware (Right-hand drive car)

b. Left and right door panels with lock mechanisms, hinges and hardware necessary to affix the single cockpit panel and windscreen

c. A replacement scuttle panel over the instrument cluster to accommodate the single cockpit panel (with the gas filler on the right) and all hardware, including a gas filler cap assembly.

d. All fiberglass panels gelcoated in white. They will be repainted to match the car.

I will have photos, prices and ordering instructions in the next few days (hopefully). Responsiveness has been slow, but we are making progress. Stay tuned...I'll post as soon as I have the information.

Glenn