Toyota 4AGE into Eleven will go (one way or another)

All things oily!
Westfield 129

Re: Toyota 4AGE into Eleven will go (one way or another)

Post by Westfield 129 »

My road engines using a scatter pattern cam and a 6"maniflow intake, produce 125 HP at 6700 RPM. They can turn 7200 RPM, but I don't bother. They last much longer at 6500, and produce useful power from 2300 RPM up. I use Longman cylinder heads, and 10.7:1 compression running 91 octane pump gas. I would run more octane, but fuel above 91 is rare on the west coast.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Collected my pile of Toyota bits at the weekend. Think I got good value! One late short block, beburred and prepped, currently dry assembled with Wiseco pistons (stock bore size, honed) Carillo rods and a polished stock small journal crank. All with ARP fasteners. Three heads - two stock and one big port head that has been mildly ported and slightly oversize valves fitted (the one I'll be using). To go with the head I've a set of new race dual springs with titanium caps. I have three inlet manifolds - one large port for twin carbs or throttle bodies, one small port same, and one large port assembled with a set of throttle bodies from a 20V 4AGE black top. Spare small journal crank, stock flywheel plus v. light race flywheel with AP cover and plate. Several stock cams and one pair of TRD formula Atlantic cams with slight marks on a couple of lobes that I plan to have reground to something a little milder (both Piper and Kent can do)! Several starters and alternators - at least one new of each. All new water rails and take offs. New water pump. Vernier cam pulleys. Ally pulley set for water pump and alternator. Several set of bearing shells. One very nice TRD exhaust manifold to suit a Corolla (TIG welded SS) that I suspect is too nice to butcher for the Eleven - may go on EBay! Couple of sumps, ARP head stud and flywheels bolts. And loads more I've not logged yet, including a new distributor. Items I'm obviously short of are a new oil pump and an engine gasket set. Then I have to decide carbs or throttle bodies. That will depend on how tight it all is in the car - throttle bodies will give a bit more clearance. Anyone have a serviceable pair of 45 DCOE's?
First job is to strip the short block, and have the crank balanced with my chosen flywheel and pulley. Then carefully reassemble for real. And start mocking up the install to check for location / clearances etc.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Sounds like you're making headway in blazing this trail, Charles. That's a pretty comprehensive pile of parts you have there.

IIRC, your gearbox is standard ribcase with standard internals.

Please keep us updated on the progress.

BTW, how much are you looking to offer your maniflow LCB for please?

Still trying to find all the loose change from the back of the sofa for your engine! :D
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Regret the exhaust manifold went with the rest of the engine to Ben, and the gearbox to Malc.
Won't be running the Midget box with the 4AGE. Fall back is the Type 9 as I got a bellhousing with the pile of bits, but if I can I'd like to adapt it to a Mazda MX5 box. Type 9 is expensive to put decent race ratios in, plus it's a single rail box which I dislike as they generally have a poor shift. I know Ford boxes are usually OK, but to me the MX5 is the new rear wheel drive champ for donor bits. Better ratios, nice shift and cheap! I've a 5 speed box on the workshop floor O picked up for £60. However I suspect time might push me towards the Type 9. £840 for a set of decent ratios from Quaife. Ouch.
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Having fitted a Type 9 to the car I now have a good Ribcase Gearbox available if anyone needs one . PM or 01200445209
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Thanks for letting me know Charles - and all off to very good homes. :)
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Got a gearbox. MX5 was a non starter - too much bulk too far back in the tunnel. Possible but only with major rework of the tunnel. Was looking for Type 9 5 speed but a nice TranX Rocket 4 speed came up. Straight cut race ratios (2.16, 1.6, 1.3, 1:1) and little used. Worked out that 7500 gives me 125 mph so maybe don't really need that 5th gear after all. Plus the engine should rev (and make good power) to 8000+. Also have the option of going to a 5.25" section tyre that raises the gearing another 7% or so (c. 135 mph). It's only really Spa that has a long enough straight for it to be a problem. And the 4 speed is a few kg lighter than the 5 spd.
Managed to make something of the pile of Tilton 7.25" race clutch bits I got. Turns out the cover was for a twin plate sintered set up, but by machining a little off the feet I can get the right pre load to suit the single plate organic or cerametallic plate I plan to run. That allows me to get the bottom end balanced and start the engine build proper.
Still looking for a serviceable pair of 45 DCOE's if anyone out there knows of some. Kent Cams also tell me they can regrind a decent profile out of the worn TRD cams that came with the engine. Coming together slowly!
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

Any idea what your rocket box weighs with gearbox oil and its length (assuming yours is the removable bell housing model)?
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I think I read somewhere that it was 22kg. Feels about right. Bought without bellhousing and it fits the Type 9 to Toyota bellhousing I got with the engine bits (as it should as the Type 9 was a Rocket with a 5th gear grafted onto the back!). It also has a modified nose piece to take the Burton/ Titan concentric slave cylinder so I guess I'm going to use one of those.
It is a little longer than the Midget box but should not be a problem. No more than a Type 9 anyway!
allymally

Post by allymally »

Hi Charles, Need an update of your progress :) If you would be so kind?
All the very best Malc