Rod's car for sale at Paul Matty?

Everything else Eleven related
biggles

Rod's car for sale at Paul Matty?

Post by biggles »

Is it Rod's (cs3tcr) Canadian built replica 11 for sale at Paul Matty sports cars? Sure looks like it! Lovely example but £47k is pretty strong money IMHO even though it has the lovely climax lump......
beng4

Re: Rod's car for sale at Paul Matty?

Post by beng4 »

Its been there a while and strong money for a replica. Dont ask rod how much he sold it for I think he would cry..... Im just a little surprised its registered as a Lotus sports..... Helps if you are active in the historic lotus register i guess...... How long before being passed off as a 'real' one. Its a shady business the classic car world. Rant over.
allymally

Post by allymally »

Yes!
"its not what you know, its who you know" as the saying goes!
Personally I could not live with myself for passing a replica off, as a genuine eleven, as good as it may be! The lotus register is a bit of a joke in reality.
Must annoy those who have the real thing with continuous history from birth.
That's enough! must be getting older :D
Happy new year to all genuine Lotus replica owners!
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I LIKE replicas, especially when many of the cars with "complete history" have only the data plate (and that may have been "restored" as well) as the only part of the car's original DNA.

Like "George Washington's Axe", they have had the handle replaced 4 times, and the head twice...

Give me an accurate replica (engine, chassis construction, body), any day. Especially if it saves me $100,000 or so.

I want a D Type. Maybe Proteus, Tempero, or perhaps the revisionist Lynx or D Type (wth a proper monocoque ) . Just the thing to carve the local canyons... Or perhaps a Scarab, or the latest 23 with the Arch Motors chassis. My buddy is building one, with a nice twin cam and a Hewland for our local roads. Come to think of it, a GT40 from Superformance, in RHD with RH shifting would be pretty cool. I put one of those together a few years ago for a friend.

Anyone interested in a perfect R5 Turbo 2 with a continuous California registration history, original owner and some spares?
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Is it RHD? :D
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

My R5T2 is LHD, delivered new in Germany, shipped back to the factory for the ZF LSD, CR gearbox, Matter Coupe d'Europe alloy roll cage and quick ratio steering with smaller Alpine/Renault Competition steering wheel, reduced ride height and the DeCarbon Coupe dampers (since replaced with Bilstein Sport dampers) prior to shipping to me here in Southern California for emissions and DOT compliance. I have a new set of the DeCarbons on the shelf, but they are not as good, or as reliable as the Bilsteins.

One driver, one mechanic (me) since new. Fresh ball joints, chassis setup, hoses and clutch slave cylinder with AN clutch line. CA emissions approved (perhaps the only one left that is actually legal, and can be registered anywhere in the US, or taken out of the country, and brought back and re registered). All other R5s sold can't be registered in CA. Mine can, and has continuous registration for the last 30 years.

Paint is original Nacre, and is perfect. Not in need of restoration, always stored in a temp controlled environment. Driven regularly.
60,000 km.
Lonefurrow

Post by Lonefurrow »

Hi all,

I'm new on here - just starting to look for an XI rep. I spoke to Mattys' yesterday to enquire about this one:
http://www.paulmattysportscars.co.uk/sh ... px?id=3508

Is that Rod's car? Unfortunately (for me), it has just sold, but he said that they had sold another Canadian-built one as well (perhaps that one was Rod's?) - apparently to Gordon Murray! I was also told that Westfield no.1 is being restored and about to be for sale with Paul Matty in the next few weeks (no idea of price yet)! I did notice that Mattys' reduced the price over time from over £40k to under £30k...

I have to say, I liked the look of the car linked above, as it has a Climax engine, but I'm expecting now to end up with an A-series-engined Westy. I';ll start another thread to bore you all with newby questions...

Regards
Tim