T9 ford gearbox

All things oily!
M400too

T9 ford gearbox

Post by M400too »

Well lowered it in and it if not fitting , engine looks right but gear box is not looking good mounting does not fit on to plate and box is sitting high
Has any one fitted the ford box to a new chassis and has advise
Will be phoning Westfield tommorow to ask how it goes in

Any help appreciated
Westfield 129

Re: T9 ford gearbox

Post by Westfield 129 »

The mount plate is not used with the T9. The trans rests on the welded plate in the chassis. The mount plate is for the Rib Case, or the Datsun B210 5 speed box.

The T9 rests on the welded plate in the chassis.

The gearbox mount has to be cut down to fit within the chassis, on the welded plate, between the chassis tubes. I ended up cutting the thing down and putting a single bolt through the mount into the transmission, using a lock washer. You can also safety wire if you like.

Cut the transmission mount ears until it fits within the frame tubes. If you can still bolt the mount to the chassis, drill the holes in the mount plate, Then, bolt everything down. You will probably have to remove the engine/trans again... Really if you don't do this about three times, you are not with the program...

Bolt on the mount and then drop the engine/transmission and engine back into the chassis, drop the engine onto the mounts and install your bolts in the transmission mount through the mounting plate. I scribed the trans mount when it was mounted onto the transmission, and resting in place. Then, I removed the engine/transmission, removed the mount and marked the center hole that is used to attach the mount to the transmission. The hole was then drilled into the mounting plate. I re glued the trans mount to the transmission so that it would stick, then re installed the engine/transmission. Once in place, a long bolt was installed through the plate, mount, and into the transmission.

I never had enough room to cut down the mount successfully, but it could be because I was lazy and tired of cutting down the mounting ears on that rubber transmission mount. In the end, I just cut the ears off, marked off the trans mount, found the center and drilled the plate for a single bolt through the transmission mount plate, through the mount and into the transmission.

This does cause a little vibration, maybe. But it works, and a cut down mount may not fit any other way.

Perhaps there is another mount that works with the T9 that might fit in that narrow space. The one that Westfield supplies doesn't really fit. At least it didn't fit on my RHD car.
M400too

Post by M400too »

Many thx thought that was the case will try today seems like the only answer
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Have fun. The problem is not hard to fix. The trick is to get the hole in the right place.

Once the mount is cut down, install the engine on the mounts, then scribe around the transmission mount (with it bolted to the transmission). Then, you can position the mount back onto the plate once the engine and transmission are out of the car, and mark the mounting hole through the center of the trans mount.

You will have to find a new bolt that is long enough. I suggest drilling it for safety wire or use a good lock washer so that the bolt doesn't loosen over time. Get it all right, and the bolt will go right through the plate, mount and into the transmission.
M400too

Post by M400too »

Spoke to Westfield they are telling me to grind down bell housing around Starter this will let engine sit square and allow mount to fit it does seem logical but they have a new casting now that has resolved this just wish they would but amendments in instructions to save hassle and money as getting a garage to do this for me and it has added to cost wonder if Westfield will be sympathetic on Monday
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

If you check my album for RHD XI Build ( westfieldxiownersbuildersdrivers site https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Wes ... ivers/info ) at Yahoo, you will see the cut bell housing. The image is at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Wes ... 1369937627

You need to cut a section of the starter cavity away, not grind it down. A Sawzall does the job quite well. This will give some clearance to the frame rail and eliminate a rattle. I have done this to all the cars that I have done with the T9 'box.

However, this will only fix the rattle, not fix the problem of the transmission mount not fitting in the car. That still needs to be trimmed to fit, and likely can't be bolted into the chassis using the mount ears that you just cut off.
M400too

Post by M400too »

Spoke to Westfield it appears they have changed the bell housing now but looking at it there is not a lot to remove and it depends on chassis age Westfield have advised I have newer chassis so requires only a small amount of modification
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I had that chassis for my last build. Check out the modified bell housing picture in my album. You need to cut it just like that.

If not, you will have a rattle where the bell housing will hit the frame during cornering, and have to pull the engine and gear box again. I have corrected two other late chassis, removing the engine and T9 bell housing where the filing was not nearly enough.

Sawzall (or a reciprocating saw like it). Fixes the problem in about two minutes. Then file/sand smooth, and paint the bell housing with Eastwood "Alumablast" aluminum paint. Perfect finish, very durable.
M400too

Post by M400too »

Can not see pics can you send please
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Join the group westfieldxiownersbuildersdrivers and you can see everything. it's an entire build. I will immediately approve you as soon as I get your information.

The link I put in the thread should work, and you will have an entire RHD late chassis build image set. The link is in one of the previous posts to access the forum.