Standard Spax C Spanner Size

All things oily!
jonclancy

Standard Spax C Spanner Size

Post by jonclancy »

I know they are not the best option, but can't afford the Protech double adjustables and new springs at the moment.

I DO need to be able to drive the car out of my garage and down the drive without it grounding... As it does currently!

I need to raise the ride height and, as a temp measure, was going to put the same few turns on each damper. Just to get me out without scraping!

Quick question requiring a two word answer, please... :D

What size C spanner donI need to borrow/buy from eBay to fit the standard factory Spax dampers, please?

Ta!
Westfield 129

Re: Standard Spax C Spanner Size

Post by Westfield 129 »

Which damper diameter? SPAX will have the information on their site. If you order SPAX or AVO, you can have the wrench sent along with the order.

Also, if you have a choice, go with AVO rather than SPAX. They last longer. You can order by diameter (stick with 1.9", small diameter dampers front and rear), extended length, and compressed length with the bump stop in place. Don't forget to specify the bushing diameter for the mounting bolt.
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

Jon,
I am not sure where you moved too but if I have the spanner from my kit you can borrow. It's in Calne Wilts. I don't mind bringing it provide I can have a look at your setup !

Chris
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Re-reading my post, I suppose I was a little ambiguous. I just need to raise the ride height to get the car down the drive without ploughing a furrow! :D

No new springs or dampers are in any danger of being purchased. My car is in the garage, but I can tell you it'll be a PITA to measure the diameter of the shockers as its under a tarp and has no bonnet stay. These are the standard factory fitted dampers from 2007. Yellow, cylindrical, with a click adjust for stiffness.... ;)

Thanks, Chris. I'll be in Brinkworth when I get my place habitable (no exaggeration there). You're more than welcome to come over for a looksee. But if you want a set up, I'd give Dave Gallop at Track Developments a shout, or Gary at Loaded Gunn.

Cheers

Jon

BTW, I will be following the advice on dampers one day. Splats had good results with the recommendations given here previously by Jan.
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

sound different to the shocks on mine which don't seem adjustable by clicks unless it is that knurled knob. If you want to give the spanner a go let me know
Attachments
IMG_20150104_125221.jpg
IMG_2967.JPG
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Chris,

Many thanks!

Yes, the knob adjusts the stiffness, and the twin rings the height.

Jon
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

If the problem is with your late chassis, then you can do an easy fix that will save you a bit of money.

The rear dampers can go up front, with 300 lb.in springs at the smaller diameter to fit the 1.9" damper. These dampers are the same length as the early car dampers, and will allow a bit of extra ride height, and some additional suspension travel.

You can then order a pair of rear GAZ 1.9" dampers at the same length as the ones that came with the early car. If you need the measurement, I can measure my early dampers. Use your current rear springs.

You will have to cut a hole in the rear pan beneath the axle to handle the extra 1~1.5" or so of suspension travel. It will have to be large enough for the diff housing and the swing tree mount.

This way, you only have to buy a pair of GAZ dampers (if that is what the car is using), and a pair of front springs and hats (probably will come with the new rear dampers). An additional advantage is increased clearance between the upper arm and the hat with the small diameter dampers.

There is no change in the damping ability using the smaller diameter dampers. It is just a configuration change.

One or two ckicks up front, no more than one click in the back should be a good setup. If you need a little more over steer, add a click in the rear. However with the late car's springs, the thing is going to be a bit stiff to start with.

I use a 5" front ride height, with the driver in the car. In the rear, 6.5" should work.
allymally

Post by allymally »

Hi Jon, sounds like you need a couple of planks of wood :D
All the best Malc
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The 2007 I had here had GAZ dampers. 2.25" spring front, 1.9" rear. There are only two diameters of dampers that would fit.

The same wrench fits both. Order the wrench by spring diameter. OK, no two word answer, but... You need a wrench for a damper that takes a 1.9" to 2.25" spring collar. Should be the same size. It is with my SPAX and the GAZ. I use the same C wrench for both. One is a full "C", the other is a half moon. Both fit.

ORDER YOUR WRENCH BY SPRING DIAMETER. The hats and the collars are all standard. Any damper supplier can supply you with what you need if you tell then what damper you are using. SPAX, AVO, Protech, GAZ, Carrera, Koni, Bilstein, all the same.

One thing to think about. If you raise the ride height more than 5" up front, and 6.5" in the rear, the dampers will "top", hitting the top, fully extended stops This will make a nice "clunk, clunk" as you go down the road, and make the ride absolutely horrible.

"Been there done that". Go with the longer dampers from the early car, and you can get a useful ride height, better ride, and mpre predictable handling. AND, you probably only need two dampers, and maybe one set of springs... maybe not. The hats for a 2.25 spring will fit a 1.9" spring damper.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I think I'll need a rather long pair of planks, Malc! :D

But I like your thinking!!