Peter May Type 900 Front Brake Upgrade

All things oily!
adamwilkinson

Re: Peter May Type 900 Front Brake Upgrade

Post by adamwilkinson »

It took us about 15 odd years before we upgraded the front brakes from the standard midget calipers running Mintex 1144 pads (which we never had any issue with) to Wilwood 4pots running the Wilwood smart pad which only really work once hot so I now need to work the brakes hard on the way to the grid.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Porterfield R4 ,R4E (endurance racing) or R4 S (street) pads get up tp temp quickly (quickly enough so that I can use either pad on the street without too much sensitivity when cold). They are a carbon/kevlar pad. You can probably find other pads from another manufacturer (Performance Friction, perhaps) that work as well when cold. They are extremely powerful when hot.

I suggest the R4 or R4E (endurance racing, with a little longer pad life) for race and street driving. I have used these pads for more than a decade on both light weight cars (W11) and my 3500 lb Mustang with excellent results.

In addition, they are easy on the rotors, even under race conditions.

I don't know if they are available in the UK. They are a Southern California racing specialties shop. Try www. porterfield-brakes.com in your search.
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Thankfully for me our 11 is no longer a road car so cold brake issues arent a huge problem.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I don't have a tow car (or a trailer), and drive the racer, (race ready) to and from the events. The drives are anywhere from 100 miles to 600 miles round trip.

I have to prep carefully to ensure reliability. Very 50's~60's. And I get to enjoy the 11 any time on the lovely local roads.
Splat

Post by Splat »

I feel the need to have the last word.

Amen.
allymally

Post by allymally »

No, me! :twisted: