Le Mans Classic

Everything else Eleven related
Elva 11

Le Mans Classic

Post by Elva 11 »

Just arrived back from a brilliant, sunny weekend at Le Mans. The car performed faultlessly over nearly 800 miles. I went with a group , Caterhams, Exiges, Porsche etc. The first 100 k all motorway from Calais then 200 + of stunning D roads, great scenery, surfaces, very little traffic and very civilised lunch stops there and back.
Stats? Total miles 787, Travelling time 15.6 Hrs Average speed 50.4mph. MPG- an enthusiastic 23.2 mpg
Nothing fell off, used 1.5 pints of 20-50 and collected a large number of dead flies.
In the car park at Arnage I ended up chatting with the owner of an original XI, the first time I've seen one (car not owner) gosh, and I thought the Westfield was crude. His car has a great patina, bit tired round the edges, Climax engine, drum brakes and live axle. He bought it for £325 in 1973, including a spares package!
The racing was excellent, such variety and those flame belching Porsches and bellowing T70s are worth the price in themselves.
If you haven't been- go- in the XI. What could go wrong?
erictharg

Re: Le Mans Classic

Post by erictharg »

Glad all went well. Been to Le Mans 3 times in mine. Never missed a beat. You meet the nicest people in an Eleven! We really should arrange few more trips for us all to take...
Anyone for Angouleme including the tourist rally one year? that was my first trip in Sept 2007. Quite like to do it again if any takers...
biggles

Post by biggles »

Splatters and JC, how was it for you? Any pics?

Cheers
Tim
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Tim,

Yes, we had an epic time and do have pics!

Just been a whirlwind since we got back, but have been intending to post up some of the story. Plenty of XI and XV to drool over in the paddock as well. SKK made the journey without too much complaint in searing temperatures. Plucky little car!

How's your XI doing?

Cheers

Jon
Splat

Post by Splat »

Expect much better photography from Jon once he's found time to edit the 48,000-odd snaps that he took :D . And there simply isn't the time to relate the story of the drive down. Suffice to say that only two of the four of us arrived on day that was originally planned. The other pair arrived a mere eighteen hours late!! And for added authenticity, my starter packed up in the Portsmouth ferry terminal. From there onwards my starter was variously known as either, Mike, Jon or Ken :lol: . The culprit? Once again a modern, pattern part. This time a "Lucas" bulkhead-mounted starter solenoid :roll: .

Anyway, a few of my snaps.

Our campsite;
Attachments
image.jpeg
Splat

Post by Splat »

Couldn't be closer to the action. The grandstand in the background is overlooking the exit from the chicane. That's the Dunlop bridge, left of frame:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Splat

Post by Splat »

Mike and I went off to a British do at a nearby chateau on Friday. Glorious setting and Spitfire on draught!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Splat

Post by Splat »

Rather delighted to see how close my signwriting is to the real thing. One of the Team Lotus Le Mans cars, with the deep windshield and high rear deck, the two being connected by a tonneau for the actual race. The same aerodynamic "cheat" that saw Jaguar use an ally tonneau over the D's passenger seat.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Splat

Post by Splat »

Rather taken by this.....
Attachments
image.jpeg
Splat

Post by Splat »

Mine and Jon's motors, awaiting embarkation in Cherbourg: