Headlight cover trimming

All things oily!
seajayare

Headlight cover trimming

Post by seajayare »

before I ruin the plastic headlight covers "trimming" them to fit are there any handy tips or recommended tools? Looks like there is quite a bit to trim off but probably only one side on each cover (the inner side on the photo). c
Attachments
IMG_20160920_130226.jpg
Westfield 129

Re: Headlight cover trimming

Post by Westfield 129 »

Switch them left for right, and check the fit again. Turn them as well.

Some are fitted as LH and RH.

I have installed about a dozen sets, on both the early and late cars, and have not had to trim any of them. Some of the pairs came from Westfield, others came from a local US supplier, making a direct fit replacement.

If you are worried about trimming the covers, find a plastics supply shop. They should be able to handle the re sizing for you.

But... I don't think that there really is a problem that switching sides or turning could fix.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Interesting...

Who and how much from the US supplier please, Jan?

We have been around this buoy before as we were looking into making replacements for our own use. The WSC supplied items to require some trimming, as I recall from the Manual. To be honest, if the front clamshell mouldings are all the same, then why an accurate headlamp cover can't be made.... Oh, hang on.... It will have to be trimmed by someone!

Ok, there is plenty of guidance out there for trimming and flame polishing Perspex and polycarbonate. I'd love to get our own tooling sorted, as we could all do with a spare set in stock.

Goes without saying to mark up very carefully and go steady. Not too much speed, or you will melt the plastic as you go.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Still love that colour......
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The locally made parts come from the US Distributor, Manik Technologies.

The cost is high, just like the ones from Westfieid. Around a couple of hundred USD a pair.

Tooling is easy to do. All you need to do is make an accurate mold.

The parts get cut to size by the manufactrer, to match the mold.

Production is pretty simple. The soft plastic is draped over the mold, cooled and trimmed.

It is likely that there is a plastics fabricator or supply local to you that could make the mold from an undamaged, properly fitted pair of covers.

You can also try aircraft windshield fabricators, who also do some motor racing windshield fabrication. The Vintage race guys all need special plexi windshields and headlight covers.

Then, all you have to bother with is price. It wont be inexpensive, but the supply may be more reliable.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

One company local California is Aircraft Windshield Company www.aircraftwindshield.com

They can make anything you need (they do full windscreens for Lotus 23s, 11s, and everything else in vintage racing). I could coordinate the creation of the molds as I have some fitted covers here. It could be that they already have the covers for Lotus 11, and they might be a close fit needing only a trim to fit our appertures.

How many sets of covers?
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Depends on cost, but it seems they already do Eleven covers....
Attachments
image.jpeg
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Digressing slightly but still on headlights , have fitted chrome rims to my headlights under the headlight
covers simply by using the lower profile ones that are available and slicing 8mm off the back with a 0.8mm
slitting disc . Put them in place over the unit , use a simple 90 degree bracket in stainless up against the rim
at the bottom with a single 6mm ss button head through the clip , put the cover in place and this holds the
rim at the top . They have been in place four and a half years with no problems and look a lot better than
the unfinished appearance of the self tappers etc. that are exposed if rims are not fitted .

Some might say it's not authentic , but what is authentic on a Westfield Eleven ?
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Can you post a pic or two please, Bob? :)
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Regards headlamp rims I used Vehicle Wiring Products P.N. 5445 whch has a flatter profile
and is 8 inches O.D. whereas 5435 is more rounded and 8 1/2 inches O.D. If 6 Or 8 mm is
trimmed off the back , I used a 0.8mm slitting disc , 5445 will fit under and be held in place at
the top by the cover and just needs a simple right angle bracket to butt up against the rim at
the bottom with a single fixing through the bracket and the headlamp recess in the clam .

I now have photos and will endeavour to post them .