Early Eleven serial number

Everything else Eleven related
Chris59

Early Eleven serial number

Post by Chris59 »

Hello guys,

If I'm not wrong, early Eleven should have a small plate welded to the top of the front uppermost chassis rail, but what kind of number should be read ?

I was asking myself if they were similar to early Seven (ie all alloy Pre-Lit kits) serial number.

I know that more modern Eleven have a VIN (17 digits ?) stamped on the chassis too, but I really would like to now how to identify a early chassis.

Cheers,

Chris.
Splat

Re: Early Eleven serial number

Post by Splat »

You might find this thread of interest:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=145&p=981&hilit=Chassis+number#p981
Chris59

Post by Chris59 »

Many thanks, Splat !

I've tried the search engine before to post my request, but with "serial number" instead of "chassis number", so it didn't gave the same result, bugger !

Your link help me a lot, thanks again.
Splat

Post by Splat »

My pleasure. I knew what to search for because I remember the original thread!
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The early chassis is easy to spot.

The main difference is that the early chassis has flat, riveted alloy floors. The seat area is not dropped. The bottom of the car is flat, as it is supposed to be.

There may not be a floor (undertray) beneath the rear axle. My car doesn't have a floor beneath the rear axle.

The dampers are longer than those of the current chassis (if the car has its original dampers).

Some of the cars may have MGB 14" wire wheels.

Also, the chassis end of the rear trailing arms is just bolted to the chassis, without any shear plates to stabilize the bolts. The current chassis has shear plates for the rear trailing arm attach points.

Early LHD chassis may have a fabricated hanging pedal quadrant, with a single circuit brake cylinder. The single circuit master cylinder also applies to the early RHD chassis.

The late chassis has a dual circuit, tandem master cylinder, or, in the case of a RHD chassis, can have twin brake master cylinders with the floor mounted pedals.

The early bodywork is very light, thin and floppy, with many molded in flaws and dents. It is held in place by "Terry Springs", as are the doors. The rear clamshell has a single Dzus, and a pair of Terry Springs.

The scuttle is held in place with Dzus fasteners on the early cars.

The windshield is longer on the early car, and has a more laid back angle. The windshield mount may be alloy, or fiberglass.

There is a lower alloy panel behind the exhaust pipe on the early car.

This was eliminated from the late chassis.

There are other detail changes, but the main one, the flat alloy floors are the main clue that the car is an early one.
Chris59

Post by Chris59 »

Well, it seems that I posted my request at the right place :o : many thanks for these informations, they will be helpfull.